Julie Andrews Dismisses Singing Comeback in 2010
Julie Andrews has ruled out a singing comeback in 2010, insisting reports she'll be belting out classics from her films and Broadway shows have been exaggerated. The "Mary Poppins" and "The Sound of Music" star doesn't want British fans expecting her to perform songs like "Do-Re-Mi" and "A Spoonful of Sugar" when she performs in London in May 2010 - an illness earlier this century cost her her voice, and she fears she'll never get it back.
Andrews tells WENN the show at the 02 Arena will be similar to one she toured America with last year 2009 - which was more a tribute to songwriters Rodgers & Hammerstein, and featured Andrews narrating her way through the songs the duo wrote for her, showing clips from her films.
The actress says, "I am not singing. It just so happens that there was this erroneous announcement that I was having vocal restoration, which coincided with the announcement of the concert, which was really unfortunate."
"I haven't had vocal rejuvenation or anything like that. I did five concerts last year. It's a gorgeous evening of music. I do participate in the five deep base notes that I have. I do sing/speak a lot. I narrate, I tell stories and I host," she says. "I go right out and say, 'You all know I have had vocal surgery and I do have about five bass notes left, so I can assure you I can still sing the hell out of 'Old Man River'."
- Harley Quinn and The Joker Sport Very Different Tattoos in Early 'Suicide Squad' Concept Art
- 'Gotham': Cameron Monaghan Teases Disfigured Jerome With These Photos
- Spoiler Alert! 'Arrow' Showrunner Unveils Season 5 Finale Scene
- Trouble in Paradise? Jennifer Aniston's 'Tired' Justin Theroux Chooses His Career Over Her
- The Rock Has Some Epic Fights in New 'Jumanji' On-Set Photos
- Lady GaGa Causes Twitter Frenzy With Her 'Unrecognizable' Face on 'X Factor'
- New 'The Flash' Set Photos Reveal New Villain and a Mysterious Character
- Report: 'Game of Thrones' Books UFC Fighter Conor McGregor for Upcoming Season