DUI Arrest Makes Mel Gibson 'Stronger'
Mel Gibson has become "stronger" since his drink-drive arrest in 2006, because it forced him to face his biggest fear - "public humiliation." The "Braveheart" star was arrested for getting behind the wheel while intoxicated and subsequently sentenced to three years' probation on a misdemeanor driving under the influence (DUI) charge.
Gibson also sparked outrage by making anti-Semitic remarks to the arresting officer, and was compelled to issue two public apologies about his comments. But the actor is adamant the incident had a positive effect on his life - as he has been able to learn from his mistakes.
He says, "You ask anybody what their number one fear is and it's public humiliation. Multiply that on a global scale and that's what I've been through. It changes you and makes you one tough motherf**ker. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
He adds, "It's really that simple. You can't do anything but live in the moment and leave the future in the hands of providence and don't regret the past too much. Maybe just take a lesson from it."
Gibson has since won a court battle to wipe the drink-driving charge from his police record.
More Mel Gibson News
- Topless Kim Kardashian and North West Are Included in New Kimojis. Get the Sneak Peeks
- Kylie Jenner and PARTYNEXTDOOR Spotted 'Making Out' at Drake's Party
- 'X-Men' Show 'Legion' Gets Series Order at FX. See the First Picture!
- Rolling Stones' Ronnie Wood Welcomes Twins at Age 68
- Tyga's New Lady Demi Rose Tries to Copy Kylie Jenner by Wearing Similar Strappy Bikini
- Shawn Mendes Teases His Upcoming Album
- Kim Kardashian Visits Snapchat Office. See Some Exclusive Filters She Gets!
- Alicia Keys Goes Makeup Free, Pens Powerful Essay About Overcoming Her Insecurities