Mother Rules Out Drug Abuse on Brittany Murphy's Death
Brittany Murphy's mother and widower have shot down reports the late actress' death was caused by drug abuse and an eating disorder. Murphy was only 32 when she died on December 20, 2009 after suffering a cardiac arrest. The cause of death has been deferred pending toxicology test results.
Murphy's sudden passing sparked reports of drug abuse after pill bottles were found by officials at the couple's Hollywood Hills home. Monjack reveals Murphy suffered from a heart valve condition called mitral valve prolapse, and only took medication to treat that and heavy cramps she suffered when she was on her period, adding, "If she'd taken cocaine, she would have died the same second."
In an interview with the Associated Press, Murphy's mother Sharon adds the actress was too scared to take drugs: "She would not take too much caffeine. She wouldn't even have a glass of champagne on New Year's. She was just high on life, and people see that as something else I guess."
The pair have also denied speculation the petite actress was suffering from an eating disorder - insisting she was a healthy weight when she died. Monjack tells People magazine, "Go to the Chateau Marmont and speak to any waiter and ask how many plates of food she would go through in one sitting. Nonsense. I understand from the coroner she weighted 115 pounds when she died, and she was five foot three inches."
Monjack and his mother-in-law are planning a public Los Angeles-area memorial in February. They will also launch the Brittany Murphy Foundation, benefiting arts education for children in the near future.
- Jon Bon Jovi Meets Cancer Patient, Gives Her Guitar, Plays His New Songs
- Diane Kruger Called a 'B***h' for Speaking Up About Gender Inequality in Hollywood
- Lady GaGa Sparks Outrage From Her Chinese Fans After Meeting Dalai Lama
- 'The 9th Life of Louis Drax' First Trailer Is Full of Mysteries
- Stella Maxwell Goes Completely Topless in This NSFW Instagram Photo
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunner Confirms Shorter Two Final Seasons: We Get Close to the Ending
- Kevin Jonas and Wife Danielle Announce Sex of Their 2nd Baby. Is It a Boy or a Girl?
- Calvin Harris Blames Paparazzo for Another Car Accident, but Then Apologizes