Mother Rules Out Drug Abuse on Brittany Murphy's Death
Brittany Murphy's mother and widower have shot down reports the late actress' death was caused by drug abuse and an eating disorder. Murphy was only 32 when she died on December 20, 2009 after suffering a cardiac arrest. The cause of death has been deferred pending toxicology test results.
Murphy's sudden passing sparked reports of drug abuse after pill bottles were found by officials at the couple's Hollywood Hills home. Monjack reveals Murphy suffered from a heart valve condition called mitral valve prolapse, and only took medication to treat that and heavy cramps she suffered when she was on her period, adding, "If she'd taken cocaine, she would have died the same second."
In an interview with the Associated Press, Murphy's mother Sharon adds the actress was too scared to take drugs: "She would not take too much caffeine. She wouldn't even have a glass of champagne on New Year's. She was just high on life, and people see that as something else I guess."
The pair have also denied speculation the petite actress was suffering from an eating disorder - insisting she was a healthy weight when she died. Monjack tells People magazine, "Go to the Chateau Marmont and speak to any waiter and ask how many plates of food she would go through in one sitting. Nonsense. I understand from the coroner she weighted 115 pounds when she died, and she was five foot three inches."
Monjack and his mother-in-law are planning a public Los Angeles-area memorial in February. They will also launch the Brittany Murphy Foundation, benefiting arts education for children in the near future.
More Brittany Murphy News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story