Mother Rules Out Drug Abuse on Brittany Murphy's Death
Brittany Murphy's mother and widower have shot down reports the late actress' death was caused by drug abuse and an eating disorder. Murphy was only 32 when she died on December 20, 2009 after suffering a cardiac arrest. The cause of death has been deferred pending toxicology test results.
Murphy's sudden passing sparked reports of drug abuse after pill bottles were found by officials at the couple's Hollywood Hills home. Monjack reveals Murphy suffered from a heart valve condition called mitral valve prolapse, and only took medication to treat that and heavy cramps she suffered when she was on her period, adding, "If she'd taken cocaine, she would have died the same second."
In an interview with the Associated Press, Murphy's mother Sharon adds the actress was too scared to take drugs: "She would not take too much caffeine. She wouldn't even have a glass of champagne on New Year's. She was just high on life, and people see that as something else I guess."
The pair have also denied speculation the petite actress was suffering from an eating disorder - insisting she was a healthy weight when she died. Monjack tells People magazine, "Go to the Chateau Marmont and speak to any waiter and ask how many plates of food she would go through in one sitting. Nonsense. I understand from the coroner she weighted 115 pounds when she died, and she was five foot three inches."
Monjack and his mother-in-law are planning a public Los Angeles-area memorial in February. They will also launch the Brittany Murphy Foundation, benefiting arts education for children in the near future.
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal