Amy Winehouse Pleads Guilty to Assault Following Theater Attack
Troubled singer Amy Winehouse has pleaded guilty to assault charges after she was accused of attacking a theater boss during a 2009 Christmas play in the U.K. The venue's manager, Richard Pound, claimed the "Back to Black" hitmaker kicked him in the groin when he asked her to stop shouting obscenities during a performance of "Cinderella" in Milton Keynes, England on December 19, 2009.
Parents in the audience reportedly complained about the star's shouting and cursing throughout the show, and she is said to have attacked Pound when he tried to move her to a private box. He filed a complaint with local Thames Valley police and Winehouse was arrested on December 23, 2009 after she turned herself into authorities.
And on Wednesday, January 20, the 26 year old pleaded guilty to charges of common assault and disorder at Milton Keynes Magistrates' Court. The singer was handed a two-year conditional discharge and ordered to pay $296 compensation and costs.
Judge Peter Crabtree ordered Winehouse to improve her behavior, after ruling that it was "obvious" alcohol had caused her to lash out in the incident. He told her, "Mr Pound is a person whose job involves interaction with the public."
"If he's assaulted he deserves the court's protection. In this case it's obvious that alcohol played its part. It (acting responsibly) may be harder than a fine because you have now got to stay on the straight and narrow for the next two years."
- Watch Danny Brown's Graphic Video for 'Ain't It Funny', Directed by Jonah Hill
- 'DWTS': After Alleged Diva Behavior, Nancy Kerrigan Now Threatens to Quit the Show
- Prince's Ex-Wife Reveals Devastating Addiction and Secret Overdoses Before His Tragic Death
- Casey Affleck Is a White-Sheeted Ghost in 'A Ghost Story' First Trailer
- Drake Postpones Amsterdam Concert Due to Extreme Food Poisoning
- Watch Lorde's Sweet 'Green Light' Remix About Creme Eggs
- Cheryl and Liam Payne Planning an 'Intimate Quickie Wedding' After Welcoming Their Son
- Steamy Photos of 'Supergirl' Stars Melissa Benoist and Chris Wood Confirm Their Romance