Paul McCartney Performed in 'The X Factor' Because of Beyonce Knowles and Leona Lewis
Sir Paul McCartney's friends warned him not to appear on Simon Cowell's "The X Factor" - but he decided to go ahead after superstar Beyonce Knowles performed on the U.K. talent show. The Beatles legend played two tracks on the live reality competition last month, December 10, but admits he had to carefully consider Cowell's offer after his pals urged him to turn it down. McCartney insists it was the "Crazy In Love" singer, as well as former X Factor winner Leona Lewis, who inspired him to perform on the show.
He explains, "Actually, when the offer came through it polarized a lot of people. Lots of my friends told me not to do it. It's a pop show. But what turned me around - apart from the huge audience - was the fact that it's a family show, and so many kids are obsessed by it. Also, Beyonce was on it, and if it's good enough for her then it should be good enough for me. Plus, it threw up Leona Lewis, and she's no slouch. Know what I mean?"
The star is now fiercely proud of his band's performance, which was viewed by 15 million people - because they managed to play two tracks, "Drive My Car" and "Live and Let Die", in their short slot. He says, "It was a big deal for us playing two songs back to back like that. It's a live show and we decided to play it live, rather than to a backing track. Which means you have to act like an Aston Martin and go from 0-60 in three seconds. As a band, we were really energized that night, which we had to be to make it work. Weirdly the show felt quit intimate, as the studio is a lot smaller than it looks on TV. But we put everything into that show."
- Mary J. Blige to Guest Star on 'How to Get Away with Murder'
- Ryan Reynolds Paid 'Deadpool' Screenwriters With His Own Money
- Rob Kardashian Finally Opens Up on Why He Ditched Kim Kardashian's Wedding
- Drake and Rihanna Nuzzling and Holding Hands in Miami
- 'Stranger Things' Officially Renewed for Season 2 - Watch the Teaser Here!
- Chris Stapleton, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban Lead Nominations for 2016 CMA Awards
- Demi Lovato Surprises Fans as Undercover Lyft Driver and Disses Selena Gomez
- Chris Brown Is Released on $250K Bail, Lawyer Calls Assault Allegations 'Demonstrably False'