Wyclef Jean Raises Concern for Haiti Earthquake
Former The Fugees star Wyclef Jean is asking friends and fans to pray for the people of his native Haiti after the island was hit by three major earthquakes on Tuesday, January 12. The singer/songwriter, who often leads fundraising efforts for his homeland, took to his Twitter.com account online to alert everyone to the news as details broke across America on Tuesday afternoon.
He wrote, "Haiti just got hit with a Major EarthQuake please call your family out there Now." Less than an hour later, he followed that tweet with an update and a plea for support. He wrote, "Tsunami watch n haiti right now! People unite... Haiti just been hit again with a 5 point 9 earthquake! Please Pray."
The first quake was registered at 7.3 on the Richter scale, according to early estimates. Reports suggest the triple earthquake caused the collapse of buildings, including a hospital, which tumbled into a ravine. Raymond Joseph, the U.S. ambassador to Haiti, says, "It is really a catastrophe of major proportions," before land line and mobile phone communications were cut off in the coastal capital Port-au-Prince.
As WENN went to press, "Gone Till November" singer Wyclef was urging Twitter.com followers to donate money to his Yele Haiti charity organisation: "Please text 'Yele' to 501501 to donate $5 to YELE HAITI.Your money will help with relief efforts. They need our help... please help if you can."
More Wyclef Jean News
- Colin Farrell Joins Tim Burton's 'Dumbo' live-Action Movie
- Jay-Z Is Producing a Series About Trayvon Martin
- Pamela Anderson Storms Off TV Set After Being Offended by an Old School Photo
- Mariah Carey Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skintight Dress
- Selena Gomez Shares Message of Empowerment to High School Students During Surprise Visit
- Animated 'KUWTK' Series Is on the Way
- John Mayer Admits New Single 'Still Feel Like Your Man' Is About Katy Perry
- Selena Gomez Gets Teased About Her Love for Canadian Guys. See Her Reaction