Simon Cowell Confirms His Exit From 'American Idol'
Simon Cowell has announced he's quitting talent show "American Idol" when the new season ends in May (2010). Speculation about the music mogul's future on the show has been rife for months, with his brother Tony revealing a statement would be made in the early part of 2010 a month ago (December 2009).
He said, "A press statement is being prepared which will confirm what everybody expected: Simon will leave Idol at the end of 2010 to concentrate on bringing the American version of (U.K. talent show) "The X Factor" to U.S. TV in 2011." And now Cowell has confirmed the news of his departure on the eve of the ninth series, which starts on Tuesday (January 12, 2009) in America.
In his statement, Cowell reveals he plans to launch his "X Factor" on U.S. TV in 2011. The news of the departure comes just months after judge Paula Abdul quit the show over an alleged pay dispute in August (2009). She has been replaced by chat show host Ellen DeGeneres.
American Idol is the most watched TV show on U.S. TV.
More American Idol News
- Demi Lovato Debuts Steamy New Single 'Body Say', Brings Out T.I. at 'Future Now' Tour
- Rita Ora Hospitalized due to Exhaustion
- Tom Hanks Is a Hero in First 'Sully' Trailer
- Sarah Paulson Poses Topless for W Magazine. See the NSFW Pic!
- Watch Analeigh Tipton and Sofia Black D'Elia Battle Worm Flu Epidemic in 'Viral' Trailer
- Kourtney Kardashian Reportedly Pregnant Again With Ex Scott Disick's Baby
- 'Wayward Pines' 2.07 Preview: I Won't Surrender
- Get the Details of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's Mid-Nuptial Agreement