Simon Cowell Confirms His Exit From 'American Idol'
Simon Cowell has announced he's quitting talent show "American Idol" when the new season ends in May (2010). Speculation about the music mogul's future on the show has been rife for months, with his brother Tony revealing a statement would be made in the early part of 2010 a month ago (December 2009).
He said, "A press statement is being prepared which will confirm what everybody expected: Simon will leave Idol at the end of 2010 to concentrate on bringing the American version of (U.K. talent show) "The X Factor" to U.S. TV in 2011." And now Cowell has confirmed the news of his departure on the eve of the ninth series, which starts on Tuesday (January 12, 2009) in America.
In his statement, Cowell reveals he plans to launch his "X Factor" on U.S. TV in 2011. The news of the departure comes just months after judge Paula Abdul quit the show over an alleged pay dispute in August (2009). She has been replaced by chat show host Ellen DeGeneres.
American Idol is the most watched TV show on U.S. TV.
More American Idol News
- Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Hold Off Marriage: They're Just Happily Dating
- Mariah Carey Enjoying Birthday Beach Getaway With Bryan Tanaka - See the Romantic Pic!
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Sidelined From 'DWTS' Due to Injury. Watch How He Hurt His Calf
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Nipples in Sheer Bra for Love Magazine
- Kanye West in Talks to Join Revival of 'American Idol'
- Midlife Crisis? Leonardo DiCaprio Will Do Anything to Stay Young
- Harry Styles Is 'Terrified' His Debut Solo Single Will Not Sell
- Kim Kardashian Drops Baby Bombshell to Save 'KUWTK' Ratings