Simon Cowell Confirms His Exit From 'American Idol'
Simon Cowell has announced he's quitting talent show "American Idol" when the new season ends in May (2010). Speculation about the music mogul's future on the show has been rife for months, with his brother Tony revealing a statement would be made in the early part of 2010 a month ago (December 2009).
He said, "A press statement is being prepared which will confirm what everybody expected: Simon will leave Idol at the end of 2010 to concentrate on bringing the American version of (U.K. talent show) "The X Factor" to U.S. TV in 2011." And now Cowell has confirmed the news of his departure on the eve of the ninth series, which starts on Tuesday (January 12, 2009) in America.
In his statement, Cowell reveals he plans to launch his "X Factor" on U.S. TV in 2011. The news of the departure comes just months after judge Paula Abdul quit the show over an alleged pay dispute in August (2009). She has been replaced by chat show host Ellen DeGeneres.
American Idol is the most watched TV show on U.S. TV.
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip