Norah Jones Adjusts Construction Plan After Neighbors' Legal Threat
Norah Jones has compromised on her controversial plan to add windows to her Brooklyn home following legal threats from her New York City neighbors. The singer purchased a landmark brownstone building in the Cobble Hill district last January 2009 for $4.99 million.
The building is given legal protection from alteration and destruction because of its 19th-century architecture. Jones' contractors won permission from local officials last year 2009 to add 10 windows to the building's side brick wall to add light into the property.
However, Cobble Hill Association members accused the star of using her celebrity status to sway the decision. Executives at the organization threatened to block Jones' plans with a lawsuit, claiming the changes would be a safety hazard as the wall's foundation is weak and can't support additional windows.
Jones backed down and filed a new planning application last month, December 9, 2009, reducing construction to seven windows. President of the Cobble Hill Association Roy Sloane fears the planned work "sets a dangerous precedent" in the historic district, but he is satisfied with Jones' revisions.
He says, "Our first choice is to always have neighbors work together and find a compromise." Officials are expected to issue a new construction permit soon, reports the New York Post.
More Norah Jones News
- Refusing to Enter Rehab, Lamar Odom Walks Out of Family's Intervention
- Kristen Bell Shares First Photos From Her Wedding While Tearing Up Talking About Hubby Dax Shepard
- Comic-Con: 'Justice League' Debuts First Footage, 'Wonder Woman' Gets First Trailer
- Watch Melissa McCarthy, Jodie Foster, Adam Sandler Ruin Their Han Solo Auditions on 'CONAN'
- People Are Upset Taylor Swift Uses Special Instagram Tool to Block Those Snake Emojis
- Artist of the Week: Stacy Ferguson
- Miranda Kerr Flaunts Huge Ring and Long Legs During First Outing Since Evan Spiegel's Proposal
- Comic-Con: 'Legion' Unveils First Footage. Take a Look at the X-Men TV Series