Mariah Carey Blames Lee Daniels for Her Stumbling Speech
Mariah Carey has blamed "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" director Lee Daniels for her slurred acceptance speech at the Palm Springs International Film Festival after he invited her to sip on champagne at the California event. The R&B singer stunned the star-studded audience at the ceremony on Tuesday night, January 5 when she stumbled through her words after picking up the Best Supporting Actress prize from Daniels for her role in "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire".
A giggling Carey took to the stage and said to Daniels, "Oh my goodness! I don't think they understand the kitten in cotton thing. No we don't. OK, I love you." Pausing to address the crowd, she added, "I have to say this is - and please forgive me because I'm a little bit um... yeah. Oh my goodness..."
Carey admits she was inebriated when she heard her name being called because she had been drinking champagne on an empty stomach. But she insists it was all Daniels' fault. She tells People.com, "We'd been sitting there, celebrating this whole time and having little splashes, and I hadn't eaten. The thing is, me and Lee hadn't seen each other in a while. I love Lee, but he's a bad influence!"
More Mariah Carey News
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'