Mariah Carey Blames Lee Daniels for Her Stumbling Speech
Mariah Carey has blamed "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" director Lee Daniels for her slurred acceptance speech at the Palm Springs International Film Festival after he invited her to sip on champagne at the California event. The R&B singer stunned the star-studded audience at the ceremony on Tuesday night, January 5 when she stumbled through her words after picking up the Best Supporting Actress prize from Daniels for her role in "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire".
A giggling Carey took to the stage and said to Daniels, "Oh my goodness! I don't think they understand the kitten in cotton thing. No we don't. OK, I love you." Pausing to address the crowd, she added, "I have to say this is - and please forgive me because I'm a little bit um... yeah. Oh my goodness..."
Carey admits she was inebriated when she heard her name being called because she had been drinking champagne on an empty stomach. But she insists it was all Daniels' fault. She tells People.com, "We'd been sitting there, celebrating this whole time and having little splashes, and I hadn't eaten. The thing is, me and Lee hadn't seen each other in a while. I love Lee, but he's a bad influence!"
More Mariah Carey News
- Nick Jonas Is in Talks for 'Jumanji' Reboot, Chris Evans Circles Lead Role in Lionsgate's 'Jekyll'
- Blake Shelton and Debra Messing Have Twitter Spat Over Donald Trump
- Watch Orlando Bloom Go Fanboy Over Girlfriend Katy Perry at the DNC
- Adele Brings Her Drag Impersonator Onstage During Seattle Show
- Mary J. Blige Confirms She's Divorcing Husband Kendu Isaacs After 12 Years of Marriage
- 'New Girl' Really Loves Megan Fox, Brings Her Back for Major Season 6 Arc
- 'Suicide Squad' Confirms Another DC Superhero's Appearance
- Kim Kardashian Is Unrecognizable in These TBT Photos From the 2008 Teen Choice Awards