Mariah Carey Blames Lee Daniels for Her Stumbling Speech
Mariah Carey has blamed "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" director Lee Daniels for her slurred acceptance speech at the Palm Springs International Film Festival after he invited her to sip on champagne at the California event. The R&B singer stunned the star-studded audience at the ceremony on Tuesday night, January 5 when she stumbled through her words after picking up the Best Supporting Actress prize from Daniels for her role in "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire".
A giggling Carey took to the stage and said to Daniels, "Oh my goodness! I don't think they understand the kitten in cotton thing. No we don't. OK, I love you." Pausing to address the crowd, she added, "I have to say this is - and please forgive me because I'm a little bit um... yeah. Oh my goodness..."
Carey admits she was inebriated when she heard her name being called because she had been drinking champagne on an empty stomach. But she insists it was all Daniels' fault. She tells People.com, "We'd been sitting there, celebrating this whole time and having little splashes, and I hadn't eaten. The thing is, me and Lee hadn't seen each other in a while. I love Lee, but he's a bad influence!"
More Mariah Carey News
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie