Gemma Arterton Praises Keira Knightley's Bravery in Facing Criticism
Gemma Arterton has heaped praise on fellow British actress Keira Knightley for continuing to accept roles amid harsh criticism from the press in her native U.K. The former Bond girl insists she is judged unfairly because of her good looks - and admits she's in awe of Knightley for braving the media to star in a play in London's West End.
She says, "For some reason, if you're successful in Britain, people tend not to like you. But if you are a successful woman, and beautiful, in Britain, you are even more disliked. When you put yourself in these huge popcorn movies you get out there, in the public arena, more than anyone else. But that also means that you're out there to be criticized more than anyone else. With Keira Knightley, she's brave to do her play ('The Misanthrope')."
"Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" star was hit with a slew of bad reviews after her debut in the new adaptation of the Moliere classic last month, December 2009 - days after admitting her fear that she would be "burned alive" by critics.
- Kim Kardashian Shares Rare Pics for Saint's 1st Birthday as Kanye West Comes Back Home
- Mariah Carey Suffers Another Nip Slip as She and Bryan Tanaka Cozy Up at NYC Hot Spot
- Harley Quinn and The Joker Sport Very Different Tattoos in Early 'Suicide Squad' Concept Art
- 'Gotham': Cameron Monaghan Teases Disfigured Jerome With These Photos
- Spoiler Alert! 'Arrow' Showrunner Unveils Season 5 Finale Scene
- Trouble in Paradise? Jennifer Aniston's 'Tired' Justin Theroux Chooses His Career Over Her
- The Rock Has Some Epic Fights in New 'Jumanji' On-Set Photos
- Lady GaGa Causes Twitter Frenzy With Her 'Unrecognizable' Face on 'X Factor'