Gemma Arterton Praises Keira Knightley's Bravery in Facing Criticism
Gemma Arterton has heaped praise on fellow British actress Keira Knightley for continuing to accept roles amid harsh criticism from the press in her native U.K. The former Bond girl insists she is judged unfairly because of her good looks - and admits she's in awe of Knightley for braving the media to star in a play in London's West End.
She says, "For some reason, if you're successful in Britain, people tend not to like you. But if you are a successful woman, and beautiful, in Britain, you are even more disliked. When you put yourself in these huge popcorn movies you get out there, in the public arena, more than anyone else. But that also means that you're out there to be criticized more than anyone else. With Keira Knightley, she's brave to do her play ('The Misanthrope')."
"Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" star was hit with a slew of bad reviews after her debut in the new adaptation of the Moliere classic last month, December 2009 - days after admitting her fear that she would be "burned alive" by critics.
- Taylor Kinney Gives Lady GaGa 'Ultimatum' as She's Still Undecided About Wedding Details
- Kim Kardashian Steals the Show at Scott Disick's Birthday Party With Her Barely-There Lace Dress
- Proud Papa Chris Brown Shares Cute Pictures of Royalty to Celebrate Her Birthday
- Amanda Holden Poses Naked for Charity. See the Racy Pic!
- Bruno Mars Is Readying a New Album for November
- Mariah Carey's Diva Antics: She Has Her Glam Team Work on Her While She Sleeps
- Kim Kardashian Kicks Kanye West Out of Their Bel Air House. Why?
- Watch Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus Envision Lighter 'Walking Dead' in NBC's Red Nose Day Special