Gemma Arterton Praises Keira Knightley's Bravery in Facing Criticism
Gemma Arterton has heaped praise on fellow British actress Keira Knightley for continuing to accept roles amid harsh criticism from the press in her native U.K. The former Bond girl insists she is judged unfairly because of her good looks - and admits she's in awe of Knightley for braving the media to star in a play in London's West End.
She says, "For some reason, if you're successful in Britain, people tend not to like you. But if you are a successful woman, and beautiful, in Britain, you are even more disliked. When you put yourself in these huge popcorn movies you get out there, in the public arena, more than anyone else. But that also means that you're out there to be criticized more than anyone else. With Keira Knightley, she's brave to do her play ('The Misanthrope')."
"Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" star was hit with a slew of bad reviews after her debut in the new adaptation of the Moliere classic last month, December 2009 - days after admitting her fear that she would be "burned alive" by critics.
- BET Awards 2016: Drake and Future Among First Winners
- BET Awards 2016: See Alicia Keys, Janelle Monae, Karrueche Tran's Showstopping Styles on Red Carpet
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Gets Striptease From Mariah Carey's Dancer on Vegas Stage
- Aziz Ansari Puts Donald Trump on Blast in Scathing Op-Ed Over Anti-Muslim Remarks
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die