Gemma Arterton Praises Keira Knightley's Bravery in Facing Criticism
Gemma Arterton has heaped praise on fellow British actress Keira Knightley for continuing to accept roles amid harsh criticism from the press in her native U.K. The former Bond girl insists she is judged unfairly because of her good looks - and admits she's in awe of Knightley for braving the media to star in a play in London's West End.
She says, "For some reason, if you're successful in Britain, people tend not to like you. But if you are a successful woman, and beautiful, in Britain, you are even more disliked. When you put yourself in these huge popcorn movies you get out there, in the public arena, more than anyone else. But that also means that you're out there to be criticized more than anyone else. With Keira Knightley, she's brave to do her play ('The Misanthrope')."
"Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" star was hit with a slew of bad reviews after her debut in the new adaptation of the Moliere classic last month, December 2009 - days after admitting her fear that she would be "burned alive" by critics.
- Are Jon Hamm and Jenny Slate Dating? Pal Says 'They're a Perfect Match'
- Emily Ratajkowski Parades Her Impressive Bum in Tiny Thong Bikini in Italy
- Going Too Far? Halsey Shades Britney Spears, Demi Lovato and Katy Perry
- Are Park Bo Gum and Jang Nara Getting Married?
- Will Ferrell's 'The House' Co-Star Speaks Up About Mariah Carey's Diva Behaviors on Set
- Here's Why Kenya Moore Kept Her Husband's Identity Secret
- Taylor Swift Makes Many Heartbreak Songs for New Album Despite Blooming Romance With Joe Alwyn
- Are They Hooking Up? Amber Rose Spotted Leaving a Club With 21 Savage