Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea Launches Quality Affordable Bass Guitar
Red Hot Chili Peppers star Flea has launched his own range of affordable bass guitars - after seeing his music students struggling to play cheap instruments. The rocker - real name Michael Balzary - was inspired to create the collection after noticing the students he taught at his non-profit Silverlake Conservatory of Music in Los Angeles were practicing on flimsy guitars as they couldn't afford much better.
He tells Kerrang! magazine, "I found that a lot of the kids I was teaching were coming in with inexpensive basses, which were pieces of s**t. The necks were warped and were falling apart. They were like toys. I wanted to make something that kids could afford but were quality, play well and last a long time.
"It's hard to get it perfect the first time, but I'm really happy with what we've made. When I was a kid, skateboarders would form their own skateboard companies. It was f**king cool to have a DIY (do it yourself) company. I had been adding my name to established bass models for many years, but I thought, 'F**k it, I'll make my own bass! I'll make it b**ching and it'll be cool!' I just want the kids to rock!"
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival