Stephen Gately Inspired Westlife's Member to 'Come Out'
Westlife star Mark Feehily has credited his late pal Stephen Gately with inspiring him to announce his homosexuality. The Irish singer 'came out' in 2005 after years of hiding his true sexuality to the press since the band's formation in 1998. And Feehily is thankful Boyzone's Gately, who died earlier this year, was the first boyband member to admit he was gay in 1999 - because it gave him the courage to do the same.
Feehily says, "Stephen was extremely brave. He was the first member of a boyband to come out, and, in hindsight, it helped me and probably lots of other gay lads to understand their sexuality and come out. Every time a celebrity who is admired by millions of people comes out, it's one more blow to any negative stereotype out there."
- Nick Jonas Shares His First Photo From 'Jumanji' Set, but There's a Catch
- The Internet Mocks Donald Trump for Sniffling and Drinking a Lot During Presidential Debate
- Listen to DNCE's New Single 'Body Moves'
- New 'Luke Cage' Trailer Reveals Surprise Cameos
- Jessica Simpson's Marriage in Trouble? She and Husband Reportedly 'Fighting Non-Stop' for Months
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Recap: Which Pairs Win Immunity in Face-Off Week?
- Rob Kardashian Tweets Kylie's Number as He Blasts His Family for Snubbing Blac Chyna
- Report: Drake Is Actually Gay and His Rihanna Romance Is Fake