Chris Cornell's Cause of Death Is Ruled as Suicide by Hanging, Wife Details His Last Moments
The Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office has completed the autopsy on Chris Cornell. In a statement posted on the medical examiner's Facebook page, it's confirmed that the musician's cause of death "has been determined as suicide by hanging."
The office released the cause of death on Thursday, hours after his body was discovered in a hotel room in Detroit after a concert. A full autopsy report has not been release yet, pending toxicology results. "There is no additional information at this time," the statement adds.
Chris' wife Vicky Cornell allegedly tells people that her husband was not in any way, shape or form in a suicidal state. TMZ further reports that Vicky says there were no signs that the Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman was depressed.
Vicky last spoke with her husband during soundcheck before he performed in Detroit and after Wednesday night's show. She was concerned after she couldn't reach Chris in his hotel room in early Thursday morning and asked someone to call hotel security.
Vicky says her husband was devoted to his kids. The couple has two children together, 12-year-old Toni and 11-year-old Christopher Nicholas. Chris is also survived by his daughter, 16-year-old Lillian Jean, from his ex-wife Susan Silver.
Chris' death has been mourned by his friends and fellow musicians, including Brad Pitt and Elton John. Brad, who was good friends with rocker, is reportedly "devastated and in shock" after losing two of his friends, Chris and Brad Grey, the former Paramount Pictures chairman and CEO. "He is trying to process the loss of two great friends. This has hit him very hard," a source tells E! News.
Elton, meanwhile, writes on Twitter, "Shocked and saddened by the sudden death of @chriscornell. A great singer, songwriter and the loveliest man."
More Chris Cornell News
- Ellen DeGeneres Punishes Audience Member for Stealing on the Show
- Report: Shin Min A Accompanies BF Kim Woo Bin Receiving Cancer Treatment
- Alexis Bledel Returns for 'The Handmaid's Tale' Season 2 as Series Regular
- Cheryl Signs Up for Private Boxing Sessions in an Attempt to Get Back Into Shape After Giving Birth
- Jake Gyllenhaal Loses His Legs in Boston Marathon Bombing in Intense Trailer for 'Stronger'
- 50 Cent Has the Hots for Helen Mirren Despite 30-Year Age Gap: 'She Turns Me On'
- Big Bang's G-Dragon Sparks Plastic Surgery Speculations
- Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers Revive 'SNL' 'Really?!' Segment to Mock Pro-Trump Protesters