Halsey Says Her Collaborative Track With Lauren Jauregui Is a 'Love Song for the LGBT Community'
Gearing up for the release of her new album "Hopeless Fountain Kingdom" on June 12, Halsey is currently busy promoting the follow-up of "Badlands". In a recent interview with Zach Sang, the singer opened up about the project, including a story behind one of the tracks, "Strangers".
Halsey revealed the reason why she chose to recruit Lauren Jauregui of Fifth Harmony for the song. "I was thinking to myself, if I want this song to be believable, it needs to be real. So I'm not going to put a girl on the song to sing who's straight. I'm not just not going to do it. So I reached out to Lauren and she came in and she cut the vocal and it sounds awesome," she explained.
"Our voices sound really cool together because we both have really raspy voices," she added. "Mine's a little more delicate than hers. Hers is like really powerful and big and raspy, and mine is kind of light and raspy. But it's really cool."
Halsey and Lauren, who are openly bisexual, intend to make "Strangers" a love song in tribute to the LGBT community. Halsey shared, "I just love that Lauren and I are two women who have a mainstream pop presence doing a love song for the LGBT community. It's unheard of. It's very rare to see it from a female perspective."
Halsey also made a point by sharing her feelings about same-sex love. For the "New Americana" hitmaker, love is a universal language, and "Strangers" would be another typical love song, no matter what the pronouns used. "At no point in the song does it make a point to say that it's a gay love song. It's just a love song that happens to use same sex pronouns," she said.
More Halsey News
- Ten Times Chrissy Teigen Trolls Donald Trump on Twitter
- Yolanda Hadid Who? David Foster Enjoys Romantic Italy Getaway With Elizabeth Hurley
- 'The Star' First Teaser Trailer Tells the Story of Christmas From Different Perspective
- Too Fat! Top Doc Says Mariah Carey Risks Heart Disease After Ballooning to 263 Pounds
- Girls' Generation's Tae Yeon and Hyoyeon Call Out NCT Stalkers on Instagram Story
- Jon Hamm Is a Hologram Husband in Eerie Trailer for Sci-Fi 'Marjorie Prime'
- Kendall Jenner Tries to Win Harry Styles Back by Posting Racy Photos on Social Media
- One Dead, Seven Injured After Ride Malfunctions at Ohio State Fair