Nathan Fillion's Deleted Cameo in 'GOTG 2' Is Explained
Director James Gunn has taken to his Facebook page to explain why Nathan Fillion's cameo is deleted from "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2". The actor was initially set to briefly appear as Simon Williams a.k.a. Wonder Man, a scientist who eventually becomes an actor and stuntman in the comics. Fillion's cameo, however, didn't make the final cut of the movie.
Since Simon Williams is an actor, Gunn said that he actually planned to feature "Simon Williams Film Festival" posters in "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2". Gunn also revealed that Williams' films were "Easter eggs of some sort or another."
"So in a small flash to [E]arth I decided to put a theater playing a 'Simon Williams Film Festival,' with six Simon Williams movie posters outside," wrote Gunn on his Facebook page. "Obviously, from the posters, he's had a run of B movies. Most of them in themselves are Easter eggs of some sort or another. Unfortunately, the small section of the scene where they appeared slowed down the movie and I had to cut the Easter eggs from the film (along with storefronts named after comic book luminaries Starlin, Mantlos, Annett and others)."
Gunn later added, "Equally a bummer was that a lot of people took photos of these posters on the day so suddenly every fan site was reporting that Nathan was playing Wonder Man in the movie. He was even the third-billed actor on IMDB! So that's the full story. Nathan's only cameo in the movie ever were these posters. I'll post them all over the next few days."
Along with the explanation, Gunn posted a faux movie poster starring Simon Williams, who was apparently set to star in Tony Stark biopic in Gunn's universe. In short, Fillion was set to play Williams, who would play Stark, who was played by Robert Downey Jr.
"Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" is currently screening in U.S. theaters.
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy
- Is Ben Affleck Done Playing Batman? WB Reportedly Plans His Exit
- Is Meek Mill Finally Ready to End Longtime Feud With Drake?
- This Transgender Performer Suggests She Had an Affair With Kanye West
- Block B's U-Kwon Tells a Fan She Looks Like Crap
- Louis Tomlinson Says His Mom's Dying Wish Was for Him to Reconcile With Zayn Malik