Zac Efron to Play Notorious Serial Killer Ted Bundy in 'Extremely Wicked'
After his recent acting gigs in several comedy films, Zac Efron is set to take on a more dramatic role. The 29-year-old has signed up to play one of the world's most notorious serial killers, Ted Bundy, in "Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile".
Michael Werwie wrote the original script which won the Nicholl Fellowship first prize and landed on the Black List. The film is told through the perspective of Elizabeth Kloepfer, Bundy's longtime girlfriend, who went years denying the accusations against Bundy but ultimately turned him in to the police. Bundy, a killer and rapist of young girls and women who was notoriously charming, was executed in Florida in 1989.
Oscar-nominated documentary filmmaker Joe Berlinger will direct the upcoming film. Nicolas Chartier and Ara Keshishian are producing for Voltage Pictures, alongside Michael Costigan for Cota Films. Efron will also produce under his Ninjas Runnin' Wild banner alongside Michael Simkin and Jason Barrett. The project will be introduced to buyers at the Cannes Film Festival. Principal photography is set to begin on October 9.
"I have been trying to work with Zac Efron for a long time," Chartier says. "From his dramatic turn in 'Paperboy' to his hilarious performance in 'Neighbors', he continues to impress audiences and critics alike with his extraordinary versatility and range. We couldn't be more excited to see him in this amazing role."
Efron stars in "Baywatch" movie which is set to be unleashed on May 25 in the States. His recent movie credits include "Dirty Grandpa", "Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising" and "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates". He will also star in biographical musical drama "The Greatest Showman" alongside Hugh Jackman and Michelle Williams.
- Ten Times Chrissy Teigen Trolls Donald Trump on Twitter
- Yolanda Hadid Who? David Foster Enjoys Romantic Italy Getaway With Elizabeth Hurley
- 'The Star' First Teaser Trailer Tells the Story of Christmas From Different Perspective
- Too Fat! Top Doc Says Mariah Carey Risks Heart Disease After Ballooning to 263 Pounds
- Girls' Generation's Tae Yeon and Hyoyeon Call Out NCT Stalkers on Instagram Story
- Jon Hamm Is a Hologram Husband in Eerie Trailer for Sci-Fi 'Marjorie Prime'
- Kendall Jenner Tries to Win Harry Styles Back by Posting Racy Photos on Social Media
- One Dead, Seven Injured After Ride Malfunctions at Ohio State Fair