Hacker Threatens to Leak 'Orange Is the New Black' Season 5 Unless Netflix Pays Ransom
A hacker claims to have stolen the upcoming fifth season of "Orange Is the New Black". The hacker, using the moniker The Dark Lord, now threatens to release the new episodes online ahead of the scheduled June 9 release on Netflix unless the streaming service pays an undisclosed ransom.
According to The Associated Press, the hacker claims to have uploaded the first episode of season 5 to multiple illegal file-sharing websites already. However, it can not be confirmed if the file is authentic. In the ransom note, the hacker claims to have also stolen series from other studios by breaching a single company.
In a statement, Netflix says that the company is "aware of the situation." The streaming giant adds, "A production vendor used by several major TV studios had its security compromised and the appropriate law enforcement authorities are involved."
The Associated Press reports that it is an "active situation" and the FBI is participating in the investigation.
More Orange Is the New Black News
- Alec Baldwin Will Bring Back Donald Trump Impression to 'Saturday Night Live'
- 'Deadpool 2': Ryan Reynolds Crashes Kid's Birthday Party in New Set Photos
- Is Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's Surrogate Pregnant With Twins?
- Is Ryan Seacrest Planning to Leave 'Live' for Profitable 'American Idol' Deal?
- Ed Sheeran Hits Back After Being Accused of Not Performing Live at Glastonbury
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Kenny Pitted Against Lee in Two-on-One Date
- Inside Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Intimate Weekend in Toronto
- Erin Andrews Shares Marvelous Photos of 'Fairytale' Wedding to Jarret Stoll