'The X-Files' Is Back for New 10-Episode Event Series
FOX is reopening "The X-Files" again. A year after the show's successful return, the network has ordered a new 10-episode event series of its revival, with stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson set to return as FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.
Creator and executive producer Chris Carter is on board as well. Production is scheduled to begin during the summer. The new 10-episode run will air during the 2017-18 broadcast season.
"Iconic characters, rich storytelling, bold creators - these are the hallmarks of great TV shows," said FBC president David Madden. "And they are some of the reasons why 'The X-Files' has had such a profound impact on millions of fans worldwide. Chris' creativity, along with the brilliant work of David and Gillian, continue to propel this pop culture phenomenon, and we can't wait to see what fresh mysteries Mulder and Scully uncover in this next chapter of 'The X-Files'."
Madden said earlier this year that there had been conversations about more episodes of the sci-fi series, but Duchovny and Anderson's busy schedules held up the official renewal. "It won't be 22, but we are hoping for more than six. That's our goal," Madden said of the episode count, adding, "I think the ideal is to get it ready for '18. Whether or not it would be January."
The 2016 revival which debuted in January averaged nearly 16 million viewers across multiple platforms, making it the most-watched event series among FOX's other revivals, including "24: Live Another Day", "24: Legacy" and the currently airing "Prison Break" revival.
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Are Spotted on Movie Date in Chicago
- Mac Miller Wants to Cancel His Tour to Be by Ariana Grande's Side After Concert Bombing
- 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' New Vanity Fair Covers Offer New Look at Cast Members
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Sweet Picture With Alex Rodriguez, Dubs Him Her Man Crush
- Jimmy Kimmel Predicts Rachel Lindsay's 'The Bachelorette' Final 3
- Rain and Kim Tae Hee Are Expecting Their First Child
- Iggy Azalea Addresses Feud With Adam Lambert: 'This Is Completely Entertainment'
- SISTAR Disbands After 7 Years, Members Pen Heartfelt Handwritten Letters to Fans