Prince's 'Deliverance' EP Is Facing Legal Challenge
Prince's new EP "Deliverance" is facing legal challenge just hours after its title track was released. Sound engineer George Ian Boxill, who released the lead single, is hit with a lawsuit for control of the "Deliverance" tracks.
Rumor has it, Paisley Park and Prince's estate have filed a federal lawsuit against George, who is holding unpublished Prince tracks and threatening to release them. The lawsuit estimates the value of the recordings at more than $75,000.
According to the suit, George "is now trying to exploit one or more songs for his personal gain at expense of the Prince Estate." The sound engineer is reportedly refusing to return the tracks, which Prince's estate managed by Comerica Bank & Trust and Paisley Park Enterprises argues is rightfully theirs and violates a contract George made with Prince.
The lawsuit was initially filed in district court on Friday, but it was re-filed in federal court on Tuesday, April 18.
Prince's estate and Paisley claim a release of the so-called "Prince Recordings," would hurt its interests "permanently and irreparably." It would hurt business relationships , but more importantly, "it deprives Prince (and now the Estate) from choosing what is released to the public and when."
The suit is asking George to return "any and all masters, copies and reproductions" from the Prince Recordings and refrain from using anything he obtained with his sessions with the late singer. The lawsuit sought civil liability for theft.
More Prince News
- Box Office: 'Dunkirk' and 'Girls Trip' Exceed Expectations, 'Valerian' Bombs
- Kylie Jenner's Snapchat Is Hacked, Culprit Threatens to Expose Nude Photos of 'KUWTK' Star
- Frank Ocean Brings Out Brad Pitt During Captivating Performance at FYF Festival
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72