'The Fate of the Furious' Breaks Global Box Office Record With $532M Opening
"The Fate of the Furious" opened with a stunning cume at the weekend. The eighth installment of the "Fast and Furious" movie series gained $98.8 million domestically, becoming the ninth film in 2017 to do so.
Globally, Vin Diesel and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson-starring movie smashed box office records by gaining $532 million, becoming the movie with the largest worldwide debut of all time. "The Fate of the Furious", therefore, shattered the record which was previously held by "Star Wars: The Force Awakens". Back in 2015, "The Force Awakens" reigned the international box office by gaining $529 million in its debut weekend.
The eighth "Fast and Furious" movie nabbed a massive $433.2 million from 63 foreign markets, with $190 million of the cume coming from China alone. "This is the jolt everybody needed," said Greg Foster, CEO of Imax Entertainment. "It proves that if you provide some revved up entertainment for the (Chinese) market, they'll turn up," he added.
Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at ComScore, suggested that the "Fast and Furious" franchise was advantaged by its theme, which fit any culture. "This is truly a global franchise," said Dergarabedian. "These movies translate perfectly into any culture. Fast cars, outrageous stunts-that's the international language for something everybody loves," he added.
Sitting at No. 2 at North American box office was animated comedy movie "The Boss Baby", which nabbed $16 million. The flick starring Alec Baldwin dropped to the second place after previously topping box office for two weeks in a row.
Meanwhile, "Beauty and the Beast (2017)" sat on the third place with $13.7 million, while "Smurfs: The Lost Village" sat at No. 4 as it gained $6.7 million. Rounding out the top five was comedy flick "Going in Style", which earned $6.3 million.
Top Ten Movies at Weekend Box Office for April 14-April 16:
- "The Fate of the Furious" - $98.8 million
- "The Boss Baby" - $16 million
- "Beauty and the Beast (2017)" - $13.7 million
- "Smurfs: The Lost Village" - $6.7 million
- "Going in Style" - $6.3 million
- "Gifted" - $3.1 million
- "Get Out" - $3 million
- "Power Rangers" - $2.8 million
- "The Case for Christ" - $2.7 million
- "Kong: Skull Island" - $2.6 million
More The Fate of the Furious News
- Beyonce Shows Off Huge Baby Bump in Tiny Bikini
- 'Paddington 2' First Teaser Sees the Return of the Beloved Peruvian Bear
- Adam Levine Flaunts 'True Love' Tattoo as He Grabs Behati Prinsloo's Booty
- Booty-ful Kim Kardashian and BFF Larsa Pippen Enjoy Arcade Game on Memorial Day
- 'Iron Fist' Season 2 to Be Announced Soon
- Are They Dating? Charlie Puth and Lea Michele Spotted Having Dinner Together
- George Clooney Gets Travel Ban From Wife Amal as They Await Twins' Arrival
- Watch This Mysterious Teaser for Neill Blomkamp's Dystopian Short Film