'Baby Driver' and 'Mr. Roosevelt' Nab Audience Award at SXSW
Out of 130 feature films and 128 shorts screened at South by Southwest in Austin, "Baby Driver" and "Mr. Roosevelt" are among the audiences' favorites. The movies nabbed the Audience Award for Headliners and Narrative Spotlight respectively. Full list of the winners were announced on Saturday 18, following jury prizes which were announced on Tuesday.
Directed by Edgar Wright, musically-charged action thriller "Baby Driver" follows Baby (Ansel Elgort) who is forced to work for a crime boss and take part in an impossible heist. The movie earned positive reactions when it premiered at SXSW festival.
"When I started actually writing it I had ideas for set pieces," said Wright to the audience. "So just through listening to my record collection I would visualize themes and then when I wrote the rest of the script I wouldn't write the scene until I found the right track," he added.
As for "Mr. Roosevelt", director Noel Wells told Entertainment Weekly that he loved comedy movies which would "resonate with people on a human level." He hoped that people would connect to "Mr. Roosevelt", which follows a struggling comedian who returns home after a family member falls ill. Judging from the audiences' positive reaction to "Mr. Roosevelt", it seems like they do find the movie resonating with them.
Other films which nabbed Audience Award include "The Light of the Moon", "Dealt" and "Becoming Bond". The movies won the accolade for Narrative Feature Competition, Documentary Feature Competition and Visions respectively.
2017 SXSW Film Festival Audience Award Winners:
NARRATIVE FEATURE COMPETITION
- "The Light of the Moon" - Director: Jessica M. Thompson
DOCUMENTARY FEATURE COMPETITION
- "Dealt" - Director: Luke Korem
- "Baby Driver" - Director: Edgar Wright
- "Mr. Roosevelt" - Director: Noel Wells
- "The Untold Tales of Armistead Maupin" - Director: Jennifer M. Kroot
- "Becoming Bond" - Director: Josh Greenbaum
- "68 Kill" - Director: Trent Haaga
- "Dear White People" - Director: Justin Simien
24 BEATS PER SECOND
- "Divine Divas" - Director: Leandra Leal
- "The Big Sick" - Director: Michael Showalter
SXSW Film Design Awards:
EXCELLENCE IN TITLE DESIGN
- "Into the Current" - Directors: Chris R. Moberg and Jared Young
Virtual Cinema Grand Jury Awards:
VIRTUAL REALITY: ROOM-SCALE
- "After Solitary" - Directors: Cassandra Herrman, Lauren Mucciolo
360 DEGREE VIDEO
- "Behind the Fence" - Directors: Lindsay Branham, Jonathan Olinger
Special Jury Recognition for Innovative Use of Virtual Reality Technology in the Field of Health:
- "Reinvent" - Directors: Ian Forester, Sook-lei Liew, PhD
Special Jury Recognition for Technical Excellence:
- "Dreams of O" - Directors: Felix Lajeunesse, Paul Raphael
- Tiger Woods Busted for DUI in Florida
- Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara Hold Hands at Cannes Amid Romance Rumors
- Kourtney Kardashian Cuddles Up to Son Reign in Skimpy Bikini
- Bella Hadid Parades Her Hot Bod in Skimpy Bikini in Monaco
- 'Womanizer' Scott Disick Cozies Up to 6th Woman in Monaco
- Emily Ratajkowski Goes Nude on the Set of New Thriller 'Welcome Home'
- Rihanna Sparks Pregnancy Speculations
- Suzy Hints That She's Missing Boyfriend Lee Min Ho in New Instagram Pic