Artist of the Week: Lorde
Lorde recently made her comeback to the music scene with the release of "Green Light", her first single since "Yellow Flicker Beat" back in 2014. And now the New Zealand singer is gearing up to release her long-awaited album "Melodrama", the follow-up to her debut album "Pure Heroine".
Lorde shot to fame with her breakthrough single "Royals", which was released in 2013. Produced by Joel Little, the electro-pop song charted in nine countries and peaked at No. 1 in five countries including the United States. She became the first solo female artist to top U.S. alternative songs chart since 1996. Of how she dealt with her new title as a celebrity, she said, "People are starting to recognize me now, which is kind of weird."
Following her Grammy win for Best Pop Solo Performance and Song of the Year in 2014, the 20-year-old singer was slowly getting away from the spotlight. She only released a couple of songs including "Yellow Flicker Beat" and "Magnets" featuring Disclosure. Aside from these projects, Lorde kept the progress of her sophomore album under wraps.
She teased the arrival of "Green Light" with a cryptic television ad which aired in New Zealand in late February 2017. The song entered Billboard Hot 100 chart at No. 100, before flying to No. 19 in its second week on the chart. A week after releasing "Green Light", the singer unleashed a powerful ballad called "Liability", on which she showed the vulnerable side of her life as a famous musician. Both songs will be featured on her forthcoming album "Melodrama", which is scheduled for release on June 16 via LAVA/Republic.
In an interview with Beats 1's Zane Lowe, the "Tennis Court" hitmaker revealed that "Melodrama" was mostly inspired by her all-time musical hero, David Bowie. "I feel like the whole time spent writing this record I've had him in my thoughts, I've had him in my heart," she said, before adding that some of the songs on the album were recorded at New York's Electric Lady studios, where Bowie recorded his single "Fame" and mixed his final album "Blackstar".
More Lorde News
- Ten Times Chrissy Teigen Trolls Donald Trump on Twitter
- Yolanda Hadid Who? David Foster Enjoys Romantic Italy Getaway With Elizabeth Hurley
- 'The Star' First Teaser Trailer Tells the Story of Christmas From Different Perspective
- Too Fat! Top Doc Says Mariah Carey Risks Heart Disease After Ballooning to 263 Pounds
- Girls' Generation's Tae Yeon and Hyoyeon Call Out NCT Stalkers on Instagram Story
- Jon Hamm Is a Hologram Husband in Eerie Trailer for Sci-Fi 'Marjorie Prime'
- Kendall Jenner Tries to Win Harry Styles Back by Posting Racy Photos on Social Media
- One Dead, Seven Injured After Ride Malfunctions at Ohio State Fair