Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman Among Stars Eyed for 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' Sequel
"The Girl in the Spider's Web", the sequel to "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)", finally gets a release date. Sony Pictures has announced that the forthcoming movie is scheduled to hit U.S. theaters on October 5, 2018. The movie will be directed by "Don't Breathe" helmer Fede Alvarez.
The first movie originally starred Rooney Mara as tattoed hacker Lisbeth Salander and Daniel Craig as journalist Mikael Blomkvist. However, the sequel will reportedly feature an entirely new cast. Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson and Alicia Vikander are among the names being considered to take the role of the tattooed hacker in the upcoming movie.
Based on David Lagercrantz's novel of the same name, "The Girl in the Spider's Web" is co-written by Alvarez alongside Steven Knight and Jay Basu. Scott Rudin, Soren Staermose, Ole Sondberg, Amy Pascal, Elizabeth Cantillon, Eli Bush and Berna Levin will produce the new film. Meanwhile, Anni Faurbye Fernandez, Line Winther Skyum Funch, Johannes Jensen and Fincher will serve as executive producers.
"I am hugely excited and grateful for this opportunity," said Alvarez in a statement. "Sony has become family to me and I can't think of a more thrilling project to celebrate our relationship. Lisbeth Salander is the kind of character any director dreams of bringing to life. We've got a great script and now comes the most fun part, finding our Lisbeth."
Meanwhile, Columbia Pictures president Sanford Panitch said, "In all of contemporary literature, Lisbeth Salander is completely sui generis, probably one of the greatest female literary characters of all time in my view. Modern punk defiance personified, she is unforgettable in every incarnation, truly one of the most compelling characters we've seen in recent years."
He went on explaining, "David Lagercrantz's brilliant work in continuing this remarkable series honors Stieg Larsson's masterpiece. We at Sony are so honored to be part of this series with Yellowbird, and we're so excited to be making an original film of 'The Girl in the Spider's Web'. Fede Alvarez is the perfect choice to direct. Fede is an amazing director with a unique vision of the world. In particular, his talent and skill in creating psychological intensity will bring Lisbeth Salander back into popular movie culture with a roar."
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign
- Matthew Morrison Joins 'Grey's Anatomy' in Mystery Role. Get the First Look
- Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Confront Each Other in 'The Dark Tower' First Footage
- Kris Jenner's 'Desperate to Hook Up' With O.J. Simpson. What About Toy Boy Corey Gamble?
- The Weeknd Secretly Serenades Selena Gomez at Brazilian Concert Backstage
- 'Arrow': Katie Cassidy Returns for Season 6 as Series Regular With a Twist