Lorde Shows Vulnerable Side on Piano-Driven Ballad 'Liability'
Lorde blesses her fanatic fans with a new single from her highly anticipated album "Melodrama". Titled "Liability", the tender ballad was premiered on Thursday, March 9 on Zane Lowe's Beats 1 radio show.
Unlike her first single off the album, "Green Light", the latest offering finds Lorde talking about her lifestyle as a famous musician which eventually affects friendships and relationships. She shows off her unique yet incredible vocals over a simple piano melody, singing, "So I guess I'll go home/ Into the arms of the girl that I love/ The only love I haven't screwed up/ She's so hard to please."
Elsewhere on the nearly-three-minute ballad, the New Zealand singer realizes that her lifestyle becomes too much of a burden as her fans get bored with everything she does to please them. "The truth is I am a toy/ That people enjoy/ 'Til all of the tricks don't work anymore/ And then they are bored of me," she sings.
In an interview with Lowe, Lorde revealed that "Liability" was mainly inspired by Rihanna's "Higher". "I was in this cab alone listening to 'Higher' by Rihanna because 'Anti' had just come out," she recalled. "And I had a little cry and I was just like, 'It's always going to be this way, at some point with everyone it's going to be this way.' "
The 20-year-old singer went on saying that "Liability" was "so starkly truthful to me", before adding, "And I think everyone knows what that's like, to just feel like a f**king liability... But the song sounds so traditional. It's this piano song which is very new territory for me."
"Melodrama" marks Lorde's second album, following her breakthrough effort "Pure Heroine". The new record is expected to be released on June 16 via LAVA/Republic, while it's now available for pre-order on iTunes.
More Lorde News
- 'KUWTK' Returns for Another Season as 'Life of Kylie' Ends Up Being a Flop
- 'Downtown Abbey' Movie Is in the Works
- Rob Kardashian Is Lawyering Up Against Blac Chyna
- Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron Are Feuding Over 'Bride of Frankenstein' Role
- Nick Jonas to Embrace 'Positivity' in His New Album
- 'Glee' Star Charice Pempengco Changes Name to Jake Zyrus. Is She Transitioning?
- Girls Lined Up to Give Tom Cruise Blow Job on Set of 'Risky Business', Co-Star Reveals
- Courtney Stodden Strips Down to Tiny Underwear to Perform Striptease