Mark Hamill Deserves an Oscar for His Performance in 'The Last Jedi', J.J. Abrams Says
Oscar-related topics have been buzzing since the ceremony was held on Sunday, February 26 and people have begun making predictions about next year's potential Oscar nominees. Among the people who discuss the matter is "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" executive producer J.J. Abrams.
The executive producer, who directed "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" in 2015, says that Luke Skywalker depicter Mark Hamill deserves an Oscar for his performance in "The Last Jedi". "I think we are all going to be very upset if he does not win an Oscar, and no one more upset than Mark," says Abrams. "He is hysterically funny. He has done comedy. He is an amazing guy-he can do anything."
Although Abrams doesn't say much about Luke Skywalker's role in "The Last Jedi", he praises Hamill for his performance in the upcoming movie. It may be possible for Hamill to get a buzz for Oscar, just like Alec Guinness who was nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in "Star Wars: A New Hope". Luke reportedly will have bigger role in "The Last Jedi", which seemingly will partially focus on what happens to Luke after his nephew Ben turns to the dark side and becomes Kylo Ren.
"Star Wars: The Last Jedi" is scheduled to hit U.S. theaters on December 15. Carrie Fisher had finished filming her scenes as Princess/General Leia before she passed away last December.
Other returning cast members include Adam Driver, Lupita Nyong'o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie and Andy Serkis. Benicio Del Toro, Laura Dern and Kelly Marie Tran are among the new cast members.
More Star Wars: The Last Jedi News
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal