Harry Belafonte, Maureen O'Hara, and Hayao Miyazaki Among Honorary Oscar Recipients
The Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announces recipients for its special awards. They are American singer and actor Harry Belafonte, French screenwriter Jean-Claude Carriere, Japanese animated film director Hayao Miyazaki and Irish actress Maureen O'Hara.
Carriere, Miyazaki and O'Hara will be feted with the Academy Honorary Awards at the 6th Annual Governors Awards on November 8 at the Ray Dolby Ballroom at Hollywood & Highland Center. Belafonte will be handed the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award at the same event.
"The Governors Awards allow us to reflect upon not the year in film, but the achievements of a lifetime," said Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs. "We're absolutely thrilled to honor these outstanding members of our global filmmaking community and look forward to celebrating with them in November."
The Honorary Award is given "to honor extraordinary distinction in lifetime achievement, exceptional contributions to the state of motion picture arts and sciences, or for outstanding service to the Academy." The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award is handed "to an individual in the motion picture industry whose humanitarian efforts have brought credit to the industry."
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern
- Kourtney Kardashian's Looking for 'More Loyal Soulmate' as She's 'So Over' Scott Disick
- Is Meghan Markle Planning to Get Pregnant Before Marrying Prince Harry?
- Hailee Steinfeld, Kelsea Ballerini and Sofia Carson to Perform Britney Spears Medley at RDMA 2017
- Nam Joo Hyuk's Fans Angered by His Relationship With Lee Sung Kyung
- 'Supergirl': Get First Look at General Zod in Set Photos and Video
- Desperate Tyga to Use Son King Cairo to Get Back With Kylie Jenner
- Beyonce's Pic of Ordering Food Sparks Funny Twitter Reactions