Joaquin Phoenix in Final Talks to Play Marvel's Dr. Strange
Joaquin Phoenix has been linked to Marvel's "Dr. Strange" for some time, and now he emerges as a frontrunner to headline the movie. Collider reports that the actor who has three Oscar nominations under his belt is in final negotiations to play the Sorcerer Supreme.
The movie is slated for July 8, 2016 release in the U.S. Marvel's head Kevin Feige once said the film would be the "doorway" to enter the supernatural side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Scott Derrickson ("Sinister", "Deliver Us from Evil") will serve behind the lens.
Aside from Phoenix, Tom Hardy, Jared Leto, and Jack Huston were also rumored being considered to play Stephen Strange at one point or another in the past. Benedict Cumberbatch and Jon Hamm were in the rumored casting mix as well, but they denied it.
The "Her" actor was last seen on the silver screen starring opposite Jeremy Renner and Marion Cotillard in "The Immigrant". His next movies include Paul Thomas Anderson's crime drama "Inherent Vice" and an untitled Woody Allen project.
More Doctor Strange News
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?
- Trey Songz Slams Nicki Minaj: She Ain't Had S**t Before Me
- Han Solo Movie Adds 'Sing Street' Star Ian Kenny