Joaquin Phoenix in Final Talks to Play Marvel's Dr. Strange
Joaquin Phoenix has been linked to Marvel's "Dr. Strange" for some time, and now he emerges as a frontrunner to headline the movie. Collider reports that the actor who has three Oscar nominations under his belt is in final negotiations to play the Sorcerer Supreme.
The movie is slated for July 8, 2016 release in the U.S. Marvel's head Kevin Feige once said the film would be the "doorway" to enter the supernatural side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Scott Derrickson ("Sinister", "Deliver Us from Evil") will serve behind the lens.
Aside from Phoenix, Tom Hardy, Jared Leto, and Jack Huston were also rumored being considered to play Stephen Strange at one point or another in the past. Benedict Cumberbatch and Jon Hamm were in the rumored casting mix as well, but they denied it.
The "Her" actor was last seen on the silver screen starring opposite Jeremy Renner and Marion Cotillard in "The Immigrant". His next movies include Paul Thomas Anderson's crime drama "Inherent Vice" and an untitled Woody Allen project.
More Doctor Strange News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media