Joaquin Phoenix in Final Talks to Play Marvel's Dr. Strange
Joaquin Phoenix has been linked to Marvel's "Dr. Strange" for some time, and now he emerges as a frontrunner to headline the movie. Collider reports that the actor who has three Oscar nominations under his belt is in final negotiations to play the Sorcerer Supreme.
The movie is slated for July 8, 2016 release in the U.S. Marvel's head Kevin Feige once said the film would be the "doorway" to enter the supernatural side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Scott Derrickson ("Sinister", "Deliver Us from Evil") will serve behind the lens.
Aside from Phoenix, Tom Hardy, Jared Leto, and Jack Huston were also rumored being considered to play Stephen Strange at one point or another in the past. Benedict Cumberbatch and Jon Hamm were in the rumored casting mix as well, but they denied it.
The "Her" actor was last seen on the silver screen starring opposite Jeremy Renner and Marion Cotillard in "The Immigrant". His next movies include Paul Thomas Anderson's crime drama "Inherent Vice" and an untitled Woody Allen project.
- Watch Ed Sheeran Adorably Crash Katy Perry's Interview
- Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' Finally Has Premiere Date
- 'Their Finest' New Trailer Conveys Warmth Amid WWII
- First Trailer for Netflix's 'Burning Sands' Features Black Fraternity Hazing
- Meghan Trainor Empowers Women on New Song 'I'm a Lady'
- 'Fargo' Murders Santa Claus in First Season 3 Teaser
- Kim Kardashian Suffers Nip Slip in Racy Corset Top
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Slams People Complaining of Racist T-Shirt