Joaquin Phoenix in Final Talks to Play Marvel's Dr. Strange
Joaquin Phoenix has been linked to Marvel's "Dr. Strange" for some time, and now he emerges as a frontrunner to headline the movie. Collider reports that the actor who has three Oscar nominations under his belt is in final negotiations to play the Sorcerer Supreme.
The movie is slated for July 8, 2016 release in the U.S. Marvel's head Kevin Feige once said the film would be the "doorway" to enter the supernatural side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Scott Derrickson ("Sinister", "Deliver Us from Evil") will serve behind the lens.
Aside from Phoenix, Tom Hardy, Jared Leto, and Jack Huston were also rumored being considered to play Stephen Strange at one point or another in the past. Benedict Cumberbatch and Jon Hamm were in the rumored casting mix as well, but they denied it.
The "Her" actor was last seen on the silver screen starring opposite Jeremy Renner and Marion Cotillard in "The Immigrant". His next movies include Paul Thomas Anderson's crime drama "Inherent Vice" and an untitled Woody Allen project.
More Doctor Strange News
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo
- Lindsey Vonn Accidentally Flashes Underwear on the Red Carpet
- Rihanna Swarmed by Her Fans in 'Goodnight Gotham' Music Video
- Tony Parker Welcomes Second Child With Wife Axelle Francine
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo
- 'Sesame Street' Reconsiders Layoffs After Public Outcry, Actor Says