NBC on Why They Declined to Air Suicide Prevention PSA After Robin Williams Emmy Tribute
It's just revealed that NBC refused to air a suicide prevention PSA at the Primetime Emmy Awards. The network was approached by National Suicide Prevention Network to broadcast its "lifeline" number after Robin Williams tribute, but they rejected the request.
"Collectively we decided to celebrate the life of Robin Williams, not his death or, more to the point, the way he died," a representative for NBC explained in a statement. "The Emmys telecast is a celebration, and the 'In Memoriam' section of our show is an important one."
The spokesperson added, "We believe we honored Robin in the right away. Suicide is a serious issue, but we decided not to dwell on that - or its prevention - in this particular forum." Billy Crystal led a tribute to the late actor at the prize-giving event Monday, August 25.
- Find Out Why Psy Chose Apink's Na Eun for His 'New Face' MV
- Jo Kwon Wants a 2AM Reunion
- Tyga Spotted Wearing Matching Sneakers With Mystery Brunette
- Jennifer Garner's New Pal Chelsea Handler Is Going After Ben Affleck
- 'Game of Thrones' Is Filming Fake Scenes
- Most Brutal Celebrity vs Paparazzi Fights
- Are 'Riverdale' Stars Cole Sprouse and Lili Reinhart Dating?
- 'Ant-Man and the Wasp': Evangeline Lilly Reacts to Michelle Pfeiffer's Casting as Her On-Screen Mom