NBC on Why They Declined to Air Suicide Prevention PSA After Robin Williams Emmy Tribute
It's just revealed that NBC refused to air a suicide prevention PSA at the Primetime Emmy Awards. The network was approached by National Suicide Prevention Network to broadcast its "lifeline" number after Robin Williams tribute, but they rejected the request.
"Collectively we decided to celebrate the life of Robin Williams, not his death or, more to the point, the way he died," a representative for NBC explained in a statement. "The Emmys telecast is a celebration, and the 'In Memoriam' section of our show is an important one."
The spokesperson added, "We believe we honored Robin in the right away. Suicide is a serious issue, but we decided not to dwell on that - or its prevention - in this particular forum." Billy Crystal led a tribute to the late actor at the prize-giving event Monday, August 25.
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked