NBC on Why They Declined to Air Suicide Prevention PSA After Robin Williams Emmy Tribute
It's just revealed that NBC refused to air a suicide prevention PSA at the Primetime Emmy Awards. The network was approached by National Suicide Prevention Network to broadcast its "lifeline" number after Robin Williams tribute, but they rejected the request.
"Collectively we decided to celebrate the life of Robin Williams, not his death or, more to the point, the way he died," a representative for NBC explained in a statement. "The Emmys telecast is a celebration, and the 'In Memoriam' section of our show is an important one."
The spokesperson added, "We believe we honored Robin in the right away. Suicide is a serious issue, but we decided not to dwell on that - or its prevention - in this particular forum." Billy Crystal led a tribute to the late actor at the prize-giving event Monday, August 25.
More Robin Williams News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story