NBC on Why They Declined to Air Suicide Prevention PSA After Robin Williams Emmy Tribute
It's just revealed that NBC refused to air a suicide prevention PSA at the Primetime Emmy Awards. The network was approached by National Suicide Prevention Network to broadcast its "lifeline" number after Robin Williams tribute, but they rejected the request.
"Collectively we decided to celebrate the life of Robin Williams, not his death or, more to the point, the way he died," a representative for NBC explained in a statement. "The Emmys telecast is a celebration, and the 'In Memoriam' section of our show is an important one."
The spokesperson added, "We believe we honored Robin in the right away. Suicide is a serious issue, but we decided not to dwell on that - or its prevention - in this particular forum." Billy Crystal led a tribute to the late actor at the prize-giving event Monday, August 25.
More Robin Williams News
- Watch Fergie's 'M.I.L.F. $' Music Video Starring Kim Kardashian and Chrissy Teigen
- Justin Bieber Posts Cryptic Message About Relationship, Says He'd 'Rather Be Lonely'
- Kim Kardashian on Butt Pads Allegations: 'I Don't Need Them'
- Lil' Kim Cancels Performance at Essence Festival
- Tyga Romances Blonde Beauty in '1 of 1' Music Video
- David Foster's Daughters: Yolanda Hadid Is Not Dying if She Continues to Be on Reality Show
- Alexander Skarsgard Laughs Off Wedding Plan Rumor
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday