Michael Egan Drops Sex Abuse Lawsuit Against Bryan Singer
Bryan Singer's legal battle against a former aspiring model named Michael Egan has come to an end. On Wednesday, August 27, U.S. district judge Susan Oki Mollway granted Egan's motion to dismiss the sex abuse lawsuit. However, the suit was dropped without prejudice, which means Egan could re-file it in the future.
The "X-Men: Days of Future Past" director's lawyer Marty Singer, who is not related to the filmmaker, has released a statement in response to the dismissal. "We're very pleased and my client is looking forward to moving on," he told The Wrap. Singer also said that "there is absolutely no settlement" in connection to the case.
Egan filed the lawsuit in Hawaii in April, claiming that Singer sexually abused him when he was a minor at a house in Encino and Hawaii. Singer denied the accusations. Earlier this month, Egan sought to dismiss the case without prejudice.
Singer's team, however, wanted Egan to drop the case with prejudice and the legal cost would be covered by Egan. "By allowing Egan to walk away from this lawsuit now - without any consequences whatsoever - would be inherently prejudicial to Singer," they said.
On Wednesday, the judge denied the requests. "Any alleged damage to defendant's reputation may well be ameliorated by plaintiff's voluntary dismissal of the action," the judge wrote. "Defendant fails ... to even identify what his fees and costs are," she continued. "This court is left with no basis on which to evaluate the fees and costs requested."
In addition to the case against Singer, Egan filed a lawsuit alleging similar actions against four anonymous defendants in June. The suit was also dismissed on Wednesday.
- Eight Times Chrissy Teigen Makes Us ROTFL
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle May 'Get Married Somewhere Private and Elope'
- O.J. Simpson Could Be Denied Parole After Caught Masturbating in Cell
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Leaked Photo Reveals Spider-Man and Doctor Strange's Scene
- John McCain Is Diagnosed With Brain Cancer, Politicians Send Support
- Adele Is Struggling to Write New Album Because She Isn't 'Depressed' Enough
- Yoo Seung Ho Reveals He Enlisted to Military Because He Didn't Like Acting
- Meet Guillermo del Toro's Newest Creature in Dreamy First Trailer for 'The Shape of Water'