Michael Egan Drops Sex Abuse Lawsuit Against Bryan Singer
Bryan Singer's legal battle against a former aspiring model named Michael Egan has come to an end. On Wednesday, August 27, U.S. district judge Susan Oki Mollway granted Egan's motion to dismiss the sex abuse lawsuit. However, the suit was dropped without prejudice, which means Egan could re-file it in the future.
The "X-Men: Days of Future Past" director's lawyer Marty Singer, who is not related to the filmmaker, has released a statement in response to the dismissal. "We're very pleased and my client is looking forward to moving on," he told The Wrap. Singer also said that "there is absolutely no settlement" in connection to the case.
Egan filed the lawsuit in Hawaii in April, claiming that Singer sexually abused him when he was a minor at a house in Encino and Hawaii. Singer denied the accusations. Earlier this month, Egan sought to dismiss the case without prejudice.
Singer's team, however, wanted Egan to drop the case with prejudice and the legal cost would be covered by Egan. "By allowing Egan to walk away from this lawsuit now - without any consequences whatsoever - would be inherently prejudicial to Singer," they said.
On Wednesday, the judge denied the requests. "Any alleged damage to defendant's reputation may well be ameliorated by plaintiff's voluntary dismissal of the action," the judge wrote. "Defendant fails ... to even identify what his fees and costs are," she continued. "This court is left with no basis on which to evaluate the fees and costs requested."
In addition to the case against Singer, Egan filed a lawsuit alleging similar actions against four anonymous defendants in June. The suit was also dismissed on Wednesday.
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'