'The Sopranos' Creator Says His Quote About Tony Soprano's Fate Was 'Misconstrued'
"The Sopranos" creator David Chase clears up a report from Vox which claimed he revealed that Tony Soprano's still alive. In a statement released by his representative, he says that his statement about the mobster was "misconstrued."
"A journalist for Vox misconstrued what David Chase said in their interview. To simply quote David as saying, 'Tony Soprano is not dead,' is inaccurate," Chase's representative, Leslee Dart, says in the statement. "There is a much larger context for that statement and as such, it is not true."
Dart continues, "As David Chase has said numerous times on the record, 'Whether Tony Soprano is alive or dead is not the point.' To continue to search for this answer is fruitless. The final scene of 'The Sopranos' raises a spiritual question that has no right or wrong answer."
In the Vox article published on Wednesday, August 27, writer Martha P. Nochimson said Chase initially lashed out when asked whether or not Tony Soprano was dead. "Chase startled me by turning toward me and saying with sudden, explosive anger, 'Why are we talking about this?' I answered, 'I'm just curious,' " Nochimson recalled. "And then, for whatever reason, he told me... He shook his head 'no.' And he said simply, 'No he isn't.' "
The final scene that left fans confused saw Soprano (played by James Gandolfini) meeting his family at a restaurant. Each member of the family arrived separately as a suspicious character in a Members Only jacket sat nearby. Just when Soprano's daughter Meadow was about to walk in, the scene went black and the credits rolled out.
- Liam Hemsworth Defends His 2012 Engagement to Miley Cyrus
- Jamie Foxx's Wild Night Out: Boozing and Grinding With Mystery Women
- Listen to Jamie Lynn Spears' Comeback Single 'Sleepover'
- Chloe Moretz: 'I Wanted a Boob Job and Butt Reduction' at Age 16
- Bradley Cooper and Irina Shayk Talk About Building a Future and Having Kids Together
- Check Out These New 'Fast 8' Ice Cars From Iceland Set
- Kelly Clarkson Signs With Atlantic Records, Readies Soul Album for Next Year
- Jesse Is Back on 'The Flash' in Season 3. Will She Turn Into Speedster?