Kate Bush Returns to the Stage for First Concert in 35 Years
Kate Bush received warm welcome from fans when she ended her 35-year break from performing live by kicking off her "Before the Dawn" residency at the Hammersmith Apollo in west London. That is the same venue where she last played a concert in 1979.
Bush opened the show with a performance of her 1993 song "Lily". The crowd stood and roared with approval as the singer, who was dressed in black, walked on the stage with a procession of backing dancers.
After it was first announced that the 56-year-old star would play 22 shows at the iconic venue, over 80,000 tickets going on sale in March sold out in only 15 minutes. Eleven of her albums soared into the top 100 of U.K.'s albums chart this week, with her greatest hits collection "The Whole Story" reaching number eight. Her most recent release, 2011's "50 Words of Snow", saw a 810% increase in sales.
For the Monday show as well as her upcoming dates, Bush had asked her fans to leave their electronic devices at home. In her website, she wrote, "It would mean a great deal to me if you would please refrain from taking photos or filming during the shows. I very much want to have contact with you as an audience, not with iPhones, iPads or cameras. I know it's a lot to ask but it would allow us to all share in the experience together."
Bush entered the music scene after releasing her debut single "Wuthering Heights" when she was 19. She quit performing live after spending just six weeks on the road for her last and only tour.
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance