Emmy Awards 2014: Billy Crystal Remembers Robin Williams During 'In Memoriam' Segment
Billy Crystal led a touching tribute to Robin Williams at the 2014 Emmy Awards on Monday, August 25. At the annual awards event which took place at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles, Crystal also recalled moments he spent with his friend during the "In Memoriam" segment.
"He made us laugh hard, every time you saw him on television, in arenas, hospitals, homeless shelters and even in a dying girl's living room," he said. "The relentless energy was kind of thrilling. I used to think if I could just put a saddle on him and stay on for eight seconds, I was gonna do OK."
"As genius as he was on stage, he was the greatest friend you could ever imagine," he continued. "It's very hard to talk about him in the past because he was so present in all of our lives. For almost 40 years he was the brightest star in a comedy galaxy."
Before Crystal delivered his touching tribute, Sara Bareilles performed "Smile" as a video montage of James Garner, Shirley Temple, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ruby Dee and Meshach Taylor among others was shown on the screen.
In related news, Kathy Bates who won the Outstanding Supporting Actress for a Miniseries or a Movie category for "American Horror Story: Coven" remembered Williams' kindness backstage at the Emmy Awards and revealed that she wanted to dedicate the trophy to him, but she was too nervous onstage. "I really wanted to say, 'I won this time. This is for you,' " she said, as reported by EW.
Bates then recalled the moment she lost an Oscar to Judi Dench in 1998. "He came to me on the commercial break and said, 'I really wish I could have read your name. Are you okay? I know what it's like to lose,' " she shared.
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics