'Game of Thrones' Helmer Neil Marshall Volunteers to Direct 'Black Widow' Movie
Marvel Studios may not have to look far to find a director for a "Black Widow" movie. "Game of Thrones" and "Centurion" director Neil Marshall has revealed his passion in helming a movie about a strong female lead, naming the superhero as one of them.
"I think I'd like to do a big movie with a strong female lead, whether or not she would be a superhero," Marshall told Vanity Fair in a recent interview. "I'm more interested in characters like Scarlett Johansson in 'Lucy'. I'm less interested in people with superpowers because I can't identify with them. Very rarely do they get killed off, and when they do get killed off, chances are they're going to be back ... somehow."
When given the name Black Widow by the interviewer, Marshall quickly showed interest. "I would love to do a Black Widow movie," he said. "That's perfect, I would love to do that. That character is really interesting, she doesn't have any superpowers, she just has extraordinary skills, and the world that she comes from, being this ex-K.G.B. assassin, I find that really fascinating, yeah."
Whether or not Marvel Studios will eventually make a stand-alone Black Widow movie remains a mystery. The studio's head Kevin Feige previously said that the project was "in development" but has not been heard of since. "We only do two a year, we know more or less what's coming up through '16/'17," he said back in March. "With Widow what's great is the interaction with all the team members, and the question is whether we want to pluck her out of that."
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce and Adele Lead Nominations, Nick Jonas Is 'Disappointed' About His Snub
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Metallica to Perform at 2016 Global Citizen Concert
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support