Emmy Awards 2014: 'Fargo' Is Best Miniseries, 'The Normal Heart' Wins Best TV Movie
"Fargo" has just won another trophy from the 2014 Primetime Emmy Awards which is still taking place at the Nokia Theatre in Downtown Los Angeles, California. The TV remake of Coen brothers' movie was dubbed Outstanding Miniseries. Series creator Noah Hawley accepted the award presented by Lena Headey.
It's the second Emmy for the FX series that night after earlier winning Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries, Movie or Dramatic Special for Colin Bucksey. The show's actors Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton, however, lost to Benedict Cumberbatch for the Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie.
"The Normal Heart" finally won an award after failing to score any in the acting categories. It came out as Outstanding Television Movie, beating out "Sherlock: His Last Vow" which already won several awards. Director/producer Ryan Murphy accepted the award and dedicated it to "artists who died of HIV/AIDS since 1981."
Sarah Silverman took home an Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Special for her HBO comedy special "We Are Miracles". Ditching her shoes after her name was called, she raced on stage and grabbed her trophy from Ricky Gervais. "This didn't even occur to me," she said. Staying true to her comedic root, she delivered a bizzare speech and thanked her "Jews" at agency CAA.
"The Colbert Report" won the Outstanding Variety Series for the second consecutive time and Jimmy Fallon tried to steal the moment from Stephen Colbert. The "Tonight Show" host accepted the award for Colbert and delivered the speech which Colbert whispered in his ear. "I want to thank his wife and his children," Fallon said. Colbert then took it over and completed the speech, saying, "It has been kind of fun to do the show for the last nine years."
Glenn Weiss was another winner at the awards show, taking home Outstanding Directing for a Variety Special for the 67th Annual Tony Awards.
- Laura Prepon Expecting First Child With Ben Foster
- Tom Brady on His Friendship With Donald Trump: Why Is It Such a Big Deal?
- 'Celebrity Apprentice' Recap: Technical Difficulty Causes More Termination
- 'Saturday Night Live' Writer Is Suspended for Mocking Barron Trump on Twitter
- Soulja Boy Charged on Suspicion of Illegally Possessing Firearms
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Tension Between Corinne and Other Girls Is About to Get Physical
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Gets Official Title, Mark Hamill Reacts
- Michelle Williams Reveals She Was 'Inconsolable' After Leaving Shared Home With Heath Ledger