Robin Williams' Bike Sold at $20,000 at Charity Auction
Robin Williams donated his bike for a charity auction a few weeks before his death. According to Page Six, the beloved actor gave his handmade Pegoretti bicycle to the Drever Family Foundation's annual Hotbed benefit in Tiburon, Calif., which took place on Saturday, August 23. The bike was sold at $20,000 at the event. Proceeds from the sale will go to the Bay Area education charity 10,000 Degrees.
Sources told the site that Williams was a close friend of Jan and Maxwell Drever. The actor, who is remembered for his appearance in "Good Will Hunting", "Dead Poets Society" and "Night at the Museum" among others, reportedly had planned to attend the gala before his death.
The Oscar-winning actor took his own life on August 11. He was 63. According to his family, the actor was diagnosed with the early stage of Parkinson's disease prior to his death and had been battling depression.
The 2014 MTV Video Music Awards honored Williams in a brief segment during the annual awards event at the Forum in Inglewood, California. The organizers showed a photo montage with the back song "A Sky Full of Stars" by Coldplay before commercial and the 20-second segment was played without an introduction from a celebrity presenter.
Some fans later took to Twitter to express their disappointment over the super short session. "That 'tribute' to Robin Williams tells you everything you need to know about this show. It would have been less insulting to do nothing," one Twitter user wrote, while another person commented, "Robin Williams deserved more than a 20 second slideshow." Another fan said, "I'm sorry, but the Robin Williams tribute was short & awkward. #VMA's."
More Robin Williams News
- Watch Fifth Harmony Bring Out Ty Dolla $ign for Mini Concert on 'Today' Show
- Get First Images and Details of 'Cars 3'
- Will There Be More 'Matrix' Movies? Here's What Joel Silver Says
- Topher Grace Marries Fiancee Ashley Hinshaw in Private Ceremony
- 'The Bachelorette' Recap: Proposals and Villain Already in Week 2
- Katy Perry's Twitter Account Is Hacked, Posts Tweet About Taylor Swift
- Why Cyclops Should Be the Leader of the Next 'X-Men' Franchise
- Diplo Reuniting With Justin Bieber and MO for Major Lazer's New Song