Robin Williams' Bike Sold at $20,000 at Charity Auction
Robin Williams donated his bike for a charity auction a few weeks before his death. According to Page Six, the beloved actor gave his handmade Pegoretti bicycle to the Drever Family Foundation's annual Hotbed benefit in Tiburon, Calif., which took place on Saturday, August 23. The bike was sold at $20,000 at the event. Proceeds from the sale will go to the Bay Area education charity 10,000 Degrees.
Sources told the site that Williams was a close friend of Jan and Maxwell Drever. The actor, who is remembered for his appearance in "Good Will Hunting", "Dead Poets Society" and "Night at the Museum" among others, reportedly had planned to attend the gala before his death.
The Oscar-winning actor took his own life on August 11. He was 63. According to his family, the actor was diagnosed with the early stage of Parkinson's disease prior to his death and had been battling depression.
The 2014 MTV Video Music Awards honored Williams in a brief segment during the annual awards event at the Forum in Inglewood, California. The organizers showed a photo montage with the back song "A Sky Full of Stars" by Coldplay before commercial and the 20-second segment was played without an introduction from a celebrity presenter.
Some fans later took to Twitter to express their disappointment over the super short session. "That 'tribute' to Robin Williams tells you everything you need to know about this show. It would have been less insulting to do nothing," one Twitter user wrote, while another person commented, "Robin Williams deserved more than a 20 second slideshow." Another fan said, "I'm sorry, but the Robin Williams tribute was short & awkward. #VMA's."
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group