Robin Williams' Bike Sold at $20,000 at Charity Auction
Robin Williams donated his bike for a charity auction a few weeks before his death. According to Page Six, the beloved actor gave his handmade Pegoretti bicycle to the Drever Family Foundation's annual Hotbed benefit in Tiburon, Calif., which took place on Saturday, August 23. The bike was sold at $20,000 at the event. Proceeds from the sale will go to the Bay Area education charity 10,000 Degrees.
Sources told the site that Williams was a close friend of Jan and Maxwell Drever. The actor, who is remembered for his appearance in "Good Will Hunting", "Dead Poets Society" and "Night at the Museum" among others, reportedly had planned to attend the gala before his death.
The Oscar-winning actor took his own life on August 11. He was 63. According to his family, the actor was diagnosed with the early stage of Parkinson's disease prior to his death and had been battling depression.
The 2014 MTV Video Music Awards honored Williams in a brief segment during the annual awards event at the Forum in Inglewood, California. The organizers showed a photo montage with the back song "A Sky Full of Stars" by Coldplay before commercial and the 20-second segment was played without an introduction from a celebrity presenter.
Some fans later took to Twitter to express their disappointment over the super short session. "That 'tribute' to Robin Williams tells you everything you need to know about this show. It would have been less insulting to do nothing," one Twitter user wrote, while another person commented, "Robin Williams deserved more than a 20 second slideshow." Another fan said, "I'm sorry, but the Robin Williams tribute was short & awkward. #VMA's."
- Ana and Christian Get Frisky in Eatery in New 'Fifty Shades Darker' Trailer
- NBC's 'Hairspray Live!': How Twitter Reacts
- Jonathan Cheban Calls KimYe Divorce Rumors 'Histerical', Says Couple Is 'in Good Spirits'
- 'Tomb Raider' Remake Finds Villain in Walton Goggins
- Nicki Minaj Teams Up With Fetty Wap for 'Like a Star', Surprises Fans With New Bouncy Track
- Caitlyn Jenner to Become Mom Next Year as She's Banned From Meeting Baby Dream
- Rihanna Squashes Beyonce Grammys Feud Rumors: 'This Is Just Unnecessary!'
- Zac Efron Goes Shirtless in Teaser Trailer for 'Baywatch'