'Action Comics' No. 1 Sold at Record-Breaking Price at Auction
A copy of "Action Comics" No. 1 fetched $3,207,852.00 million at an eBay auction on Sunday, August 24. The comic book by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, which reportedly is in pristine condition despite its 76 years of age, marks the first appearance of Superman in 1938.
The comic was sold by Darren Adams, the owner of Pristine Comics in Federal Way, Wash. "I'm proud to have owned the most valuable comic book in the world. Working with eBay on this auction allowed me to share this rare treasure with their global community and ensure the next owner is just as passionate about its place in history," Adams said. One percent of the proceeds from the sale would be donated to Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation.
Previously, a copy of the same edition owned by Nicolas Cage held the record when it was sold $2.16 million in 2011 on ComicConnect.com. According to grading service Certified Guaranty Company (CGC), both comics are graded 9.0 out of 10. The currently-sold edition, however, is described having "perfect white pages."
The comic book which belongs to Cage was stolen during a party in 2000 alongside other rare editions. It was found in an abandoned storage locker in 2011. A copy of "Detective Comics" No. 27 which features the first appearance of Batman was also stolen, but it was never found and the culprit was never caught.
More Nicolas Cage News
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie
- Rihanna, Beyonce and More Thank Barack and Michelle Obama With Adorable Posts
- J.K. Rowling Quickly Shuts Down 'The Cursed Child' Movie Trilogy Rumor
- Kate Hudson's Brother Hilariously Reacts to Rumor That the Actress Is Dating Brad Pitt
- Adele Added to 2017 Grammy Award Performers List
- LGBT Page Disappears From White House's Website After Trump's Inauguration, Twitter Freaks Out
- Shia LaBeouf Starts Four-Year Anti-Trump Live-Stream Protest on Inauguration Day