Friends and Colleagues Pay Tributes to Richard Attenborough
Richard Attenborough, who is best known for his roles in "Brighton Rock", "The Great Escape" and "Jurassic Park", passed away at lunch time on Sunday, August 24. He was 90. His son confirmed the sad news to BBC.
Ben Kingsley, who played the lead role in Richard's Oscar-winning movie "Gandhi", paid tribute to him. Ben said he would "miss him dearly." He added, "Richard Attenborough trusted me with the crucial and central task of bringing to life a dream it took him 20 years to bring to fruition. When he gave me the part of Gandhi it was with great grace and joy. He placed in me an absolute trust and in turn I placed an absolute trust in him and grew to love him."
Other celebrities paid tributes to Richard on Twitter. Mia Farrow tweeted, "Richard Attenborough was the kindest man I have ever had the privilege of working with. A Prince. RIP 'Pa' - and thank you." Piers Morgan wrote, "Dear dear Dickie: a true legend of the screen and a delightful man. Very sad news. RIP. #RichardAttenborough." Meanwhile, Richard's co-star in "Miracle on 34th Street" Mara Wilson posted, "Sir Richard Attenborough was the only Santa Claus I ever believed in. A wonderful man. Still in shock right now. May he rest in peace."
Tributes also came from politician like U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron. He tweeted, "His acting in 'Brighton Rock' was brilliant, his directing of 'Gandhi' was stunning - Richard Attenborough was one of the greats of cinema."
Chelsea Football Club also paid tribute to Richard, who was a life president of the club from 2008 to 2014. The club said, "He led a long and successful life and always found time for the things in life he loved most, one of which was Chelsea FC. His personality was woven into the tapestry of the club over seven decades. He was a consistent force for good at the club, even in dark times."
They continued, "He will be greatly missed, and the thoughts of everyone at Chelsea FC are with his family and friends at this sad time."
Richard is survived by his wife, actress Sheila Sim, and his two children, Michael and Charlotte.
- Kylie Jenner Offers Fan Feeling Her Boobs to Prove They're Real
- Britney Spears, Elton John, Calvin Harris to Headline 10th Apple Music Festival in London
- Rob Kardashian Criticizes His Family for Not 'Welcoming' of His Relationship With Blac Chyna
- 'Scream Queens': Hester Will Help Find the Killer in Season 2. Is She No Longer the Bad Guy?
- Possible Main Villains in 'The Flash' Film Are Revealed, 'Doctor Strange' May Feature Brother Voodoo
- Angelina Jolie Worries Brad Pitt Will Leave Her for Marion Cotillard
- Kanye West Kicks Off 'Saint Pablo Tour' and It Has Flying Stage. How Fans React?
- 'Frustrated' Shawn Mendes Slams Billboard for Misquoting Comments About His Fans