Wiz Khalifa Cancels Concert After a Man Was Shot Dead at His Show
Wiz Khalifa axes his scheduled concert in Chula Vista, near San Diego, after a fan was killed at his gig the night before. He was supposed to perform at the Sleep Train Amphitheatre Saturday night, August 23 as part of his ongoing "Under the Influence of Music Tour".
The identity of the victim hasn't immediately been released by police, but ABC7 reports that friends and family identified him as Eric Johnson of Oakland. Rumor has it, the 38-year-old man was fatally shot backstage at the Shoreline Amphitheatre Friday night, August 22.
Gunshots were reportedly fired multiple times backstage after Khalifa, Young Jeezy, and other performers were wrapping a show in Mountain View, California. "We do not know how the victim was associated with the concert," said police rep Shino Tanaka. "That is part of our ongoing investigation."
Police rushed to the venue after receiving multiple calls about the gunshots. The victim was taken to a hospital, where he died Saturday morning. No one else was hurt. No arrest has been made as police turn to social media asking concertgoers for photo or video that might provide clues.
Police describes the shooting suspect as a black male in his 20s with short hair. He is believed to be between 5 feet 6 inches and 5 feet 8 inches tall. He was wearing a black shirt, a red baseball cap, and possibly white pants. He was reportedly armed with a handgun.
It's unclear how a gun made it through the security screening at the amphitheatre. Around 22,000 people were reportedly in attendance at the Friday night concert.
"Due to a situation out of our control, tonight's UTIOM show is cancelled," Khalifa said on Twitter of his canceled show. "This was a senseless tragedy. Violence is never the answer. My prayers go out to the victim's family."
"We abhor violence, of any kind. We continue to cooperate with authorities in their investigation into last night's isolated incident," said promoter Live Nation. Refund is available for ticket holders as it's confirmed that the show will not be rescheduled.
While Khalifa's show at the Sleep Train Amphitheatre in Chula Vista was scrapped, the gig featuring Rascal Flatts, Sheryl Crow, and Gloriana at the Shoreline Amphitheatre would go on as scheduled for Saturday night.
More Wiz Khalifa News
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'