M.I.A. and the NFL Settle Middle Finger Lawsuit
M.I.A. has reached a settlement with the NFL over middle finger gesture at a Super Bowl performance two years ago. As reported by The Hollywood Reporter, the rapper's attorney Howard E. King confirmed that his client and the NFL had settled the issue, but he declined to share more info regarding the terms.
The star's legal drama started after she flashed her middle finger during halftime performance at Super Bowl XLVI in 2012 with Madonna. The NFL then took her to arbitration for allegedly breaching her contract and tarnishing the association's reputation.
The league previously demanded $1.5 million, but they added $15.5 million in "restitution." In response to the demand, M.I.A.'s camp said back then, "The claim for restitution lacks any basis in law, fact, or logic." They also said that the "continued pursuit of this proceeding is transparently an exercise by the NFL intended solely to bully and make an example of Respondents for daring to challenge NFL."
In other news, the NFL reportedly has narrowed down the list of performers who possibly will take the stage at the 2015 Super Bowl. According to The Wall Street Journal, Rihanna, Coldplay and Katy Perry are the possible candidates for the gig. The report also mentioned that the league was asking the upcoming performers' camp to make financial contribution to play at the show.
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Live Under Different Roofs After He's Released From Hospital