Matthew McConaughey Wanted to Star in 'Gold' and 'The Stand'
Matthew McConaughey remains one of the most wanted actors out there. The "True Detective" actor is reportedly courted for the lead roles in both Teddy Schwarzman's "Gold" and Josh Boone's "The Stand".
Words about McConaughey circling "Gold" have been heard since December 2013, according to The Wrap. Oscar-winning scribe Stephen Gaghan is also wanted for the project as a director. Producer Paul Haggis' first choice of director was actually Michael Mann but the helmer quit in March 2012 to focus on the upcoming "Blackhat".
Script, which is provided by Patrick Massett and John Zinman, is based on a true story about the 1993 Bre-X Mineral Corporation mining scandal. It follows a rough-around-the-edges prospector who stumbles onto one of the largest gold mines in the world in the Indonesian jungle. Haggis, Michael Nozik, Massett and Zinman will produce with Black Bear's Teddy Schwarzman.
Meanwhile, McConaughey is coveted for the role of a villain in "The Stand", an adaptation of Stephen King's work. Boone initially wanted him to portray Stu Redman, the only man immune to the plaque that wipe the world's population, but he reportedly changed his mind and wanted the actor to play the personification of evil Randall Flagg.
More Gold News
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri