Columbus Short Takes Plea Deal in Domestic Violence Case
Columbus Short was reportedly arrested and taken into custody when he appeared at a Van Nuys courtroom on early Thursday, August 21. According to New York Daily News, Columbus has accepted a plea deal in his domestic violence case after failing to get his bail reduced.
The former "Scandal" star told Judge Christine Ewell on the resulting bench warrant, "I apologize sincerely for missing court. I literally went to Barbados for an HIV charity. I was between a rock and a hard place: the rock being court and the hard place being Barbados and 2,000 kids waiting for me to get there." He added, "I'm not disrespecting the court. I will be here for the rest of this trial."
The judge refused to reduce Columbus' bail and kept it at $500,000. The star of "The Losers" then quickly accepted a no-jail plea deal. The judge sentenced him to three-year probation and either 45 days in prison or 30-day community labor. Columbus then chose the community labor and if he fails to complete it, he will be immediately sent to jail.
Columbus was also ordered to take a 52-week domestic violence program, attend 26 Alcoholic Anonymous meetings, surrender any weapons and stay away from his estranged wife, Tanee McCall, for at least 100 yards. The judge ordered him back to court on November 21.
On the same day when he was arrested, Columbus actually had another hearing in criminal case related to a bar fight but he couldn't attend it because he was in custody. As a result, the judge for the bar fight case set bail at $250,000 and issued second arrest warrant for him.
- The Weeknd and Selena Gomez Plan 'Summer Wedding' in Europe
- Taylor Swift Is Taking a Break From Social Media After Struggling With Instagram Bullies
- Watch: John Legend Surprises London Commuters With Mini-Concert at Train Station
- Rob Kardashian Hints at Wanting More Kids as He's Gearing Up for Baby Dream's First Birthday
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Are Still Dating, Despite Breakup Reports
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Was Drug-Tested for 'Tomb Raider'
- Chris Pine Shaves His Head Bald. Find Out How 'Homeland' Inspired His New Look
- Tyga Threatens to Sue Blac Chyna for Defamation After Snapchat Rant