Henry Rollins Criticizes People Who Committed Suicide, Robin Williams in Essay
Henry Rollins talked about suicide and criticized people who killed themselves while making reference to Robin Williams in an essay published on L.A. Weekly on Thursday, August 21. In the lengthy piece, the Black Flag star mentioned that he struggled to understand "how any parent could kill themselves."
Calling Williams "a good man," Rollins wrote, "How in the hell could you possibly do that to your children? I don't care how well adjusted your kid might be - choosing to kill yourself, rather than to be there for that child, is every shade of awful, traumatic and confusing. I think as soon as you have children, you waive your right to take your own life. No matter what mistakes you make in life, it should be your utmost goal not to traumatize your kids. So, you don't kill yourself."
Rollins then went on mentioning two people he knew who killed themselves, adding that he lost respects for people who committed suicide. "When someone negates their existence, they cancel themselves out in my mind," he said. "When someone commits this act, he or she is out of my analog world. I know they existed, yet they have nullified their existence because they willfully removed themselves from life. They were real but now they are not."
"I no longer take this person seriously. I may be able to appreciate what he or she did artistically but it's impossible to feel bad for them. Their life wasn't cut short - it was purposely abandoned. It's hard to feel bad when the person did what they wanted to. It sucks they are gone, of course, but it's the decision they made. I have to respect it and move on," he added.
Rollins then cited the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, saying that there were nearly 40,000 people who committed suicide in a year in the U.S. "In my opinion, that is 40,000 people who blew it," he concluded.
- 'The Voice' Semifinals Recap: The Top 8 Vying for Spots in the Final 4
- Drake's 'Views' Gets Quadruple-Platinum Certification
- Jimmy Kimmel Selected to Host 2017 Academy Awards
- Back on? Ryan Seacrest Spotted on Romantic Bike Ride With Ex Shayna Taylor in Venice
- Swoon Alert! Michelle Williams and James Van Der Beek Have 'Dawson's Creek' Mini Reunion
- Taylor Lautner Caught Making Out With His 'Scream Queens' Co-Star Billie Lourd
- Liam Payne's Facebook Is Hacked With Porn Images of Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry
- Optimus Prime Wants to Kill Bumblebee in 'Transformers: The Last Knight' First Teaser Trailer