Henry Rollins Criticizes People Who Committed Suicide, Robin Williams in Essay
Henry Rollins talked about suicide and criticized people who killed themselves while making reference to Robin Williams in an essay published on L.A. Weekly on Thursday, August 21. In the lengthy piece, the Black Flag star mentioned that he struggled to understand "how any parent could kill themselves."
Calling Williams "a good man," Rollins wrote, "How in the hell could you possibly do that to your children? I don't care how well adjusted your kid might be - choosing to kill yourself, rather than to be there for that child, is every shade of awful, traumatic and confusing. I think as soon as you have children, you waive your right to take your own life. No matter what mistakes you make in life, it should be your utmost goal not to traumatize your kids. So, you don't kill yourself."
Rollins then went on mentioning two people he knew who killed themselves, adding that he lost respects for people who committed suicide. "When someone negates their existence, they cancel themselves out in my mind," he said. "When someone commits this act, he or she is out of my analog world. I know they existed, yet they have nullified their existence because they willfully removed themselves from life. They were real but now they are not."
"I no longer take this person seriously. I may be able to appreciate what he or she did artistically but it's impossible to feel bad for them. Their life wasn't cut short - it was purposely abandoned. It's hard to feel bad when the person did what they wanted to. It sucks they are gone, of course, but it's the decision they made. I have to respect it and move on," he added.
Rollins then cited the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, saying that there were nearly 40,000 people who committed suicide in a year in the U.S. "In my opinion, that is 40,000 people who blew it," he concluded.
- Video: Prince Harry Joins Coldplay Onstage During Kensington Palace Concert
- Kim Kardashian Caught Wearing Butt Pads at Khloe's Birthday Party
- Check Out Peter Parker in Spidey Suit on 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Set
- Wendy Williams Skeptical of Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston's Romance, Calling Him 'an Opportunist'
- Chloe Moretz Blasts 'Hateful' Twitter Trolls
- Watch Justin Bieber's Acoustic Cover of Taylor Swift's 'I Knew You Were Trouble'
- Caitlyn Jenner Was 'Disgusted' by Bruce's 'Greek God Kind of Body'
- 'American Horror Story' Reveals This Mysterious Logo of Season 6