TNT Nabs TV Rights to 'The Hunger Games' and 'Divergent' Franchises
"The Hunger Games" and "Divergent" have found home on the small screen. TNT has secured the network television rights to the two popular movie franchises which are both adapted from YA novels.
The first "Hunger Games" film will air on TNT for the first time in winter 2015, followed by the second installment "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" in winter 2016. "Divergent" will first air in 2016.
The deal also includes premiere windows for the next two "Hunger Games" movies, "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1" which is due November 21 and "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2" which is slated to arrive in theaters November 20, 2015. The three "Divergent" sequels, meanwhile, will air in 2017 and the next two years.
" 'The Hunger Games' and 'Divergent' franchises fit perfectly within TNT's brand evolution and expansion into action-packed genre programming," says Michael Wright, President, Head of Programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies (TCM).
He adds, "Like our current hits 'The Last Ship' and 'Legends' and the upcoming series 'The Librarians', the movies in these franchises are ideal for drawing young adults to the network. We look forward to making 'The Hunger Games' and 'Divergent' movies the kind of event programming that will engage and excite fans for years to come."
The first two installments of "Hunger Games" film franchise have grossed more than $1.5 billion worldwide, while the first "Divergent" movie has raked in nearly $300 million worldwide.
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation