'Iron Man 3' Helmer Shane Black to Direct 'The Destroyer' for Sony
Sony Pictures hires "Iron Man 3" helmer Shane Black to tackle adventure-action movie "The Destroyer". The project is being written by "Fight Club" scribe Jim Uhls in collaboration with James Mullaney, who co-authored books in the series.
"The Destroyer is a two-fisted classic and deserves no less than the genius of Shane Black," Columbia's president of production Michael De Luca said in a statement. "We couldn't be more excited about his vision for this character."
"The Destroyer" is an adaptation of the adventure book series by Warren Murphy. It is set in 1970s-era where Newark police officer Remo Williams was framed, sentenced to death, then resurrected following a botched execution. He is given a second lease on life serving in the enforcement arm of the clandestine U.S. government agency CURE. Williams teams with the Asian assassin Chiun and together they clean up and eliminate those who oppose America's interests.
Charles Roven, Steven Chasman and Andy Horwitz will produce the film. Sony has no release date yet. The novel was first made into a movie in 1985 starring Fred Ward as Williams.
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Help Jimmy Kimmel Poke Fun at Hodor Twist
- Is Marriage on the Cards for Sandra Bullock and Boyfriend Bryan Randall?
- Chloe Grace Moretz Gets New Sweet Tattoo. See the Pic!
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Star Frank Dillane Arrested Following Altercation With Security Guard
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!