'Iron Man 3' Helmer Shane Black to Direct 'The Destroyer' for Sony
Sony Pictures hires "Iron Man 3" helmer Shane Black to tackle adventure-action movie "The Destroyer". The project is being written by "Fight Club" scribe Jim Uhls in collaboration with James Mullaney, who co-authored books in the series.
"The Destroyer is a two-fisted classic and deserves no less than the genius of Shane Black," Columbia's president of production Michael De Luca said in a statement. "We couldn't be more excited about his vision for this character."
"The Destroyer" is an adaptation of the adventure book series by Warren Murphy. It is set in 1970s-era where Newark police officer Remo Williams was framed, sentenced to death, then resurrected following a botched execution. He is given a second lease on life serving in the enforcement arm of the clandestine U.S. government agency CURE. Williams teams with the Asian assassin Chiun and together they clean up and eliminate those who oppose America's interests.
Charles Roven, Steven Chasman and Andy Horwitz will produce the film. Sony has no release date yet. The novel was first made into a movie in 1985 starring Fred Ward as Williams.
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March
- Sterling K. Brown May Join Shane Black's 'Predator'