David Yates Eyed to Direct 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them'
David Yates may return to the world of "Harry Potter" in the spin-off pic, "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them". Nothing is set in stone yet but the filmmaker is in active negotiations to direct the planned trilogy for Warner Bros.
Sources told Variety that WB always wanted someone familiar with the franchise. Yates directed four of the eight "Harry Potter" films, particularly the last four crucial installments. Both sides may have to work on the production schedule because Yates is currently busy directing "Tarzan" for the studio through November.
J.K. Rowling, author of the book series, is making her screenwriting debut in "Fantastic Beast". Film will focus on a fictional book writer Newt Scamander who is tasked to write a Hogwarts textbook about the magical creatures. It is set in New York seven decades before Harry Potter's adventure starts.
"Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world," Rowling said previously.
"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" is scheduled to hit theaters November 18, 2016. No actor has been cast in the movie yet.
More Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them News
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip