David Yates Eyed to Direct 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them'
David Yates may return to the world of "Harry Potter" in the spin-off pic, "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them". Nothing is set in stone yet but the filmmaker is in active negotiations to direct the planned trilogy for Warner Bros.
Sources told Variety that WB always wanted someone familiar with the franchise. Yates directed four of the eight "Harry Potter" films, particularly the last four crucial installments. Both sides may have to work on the production schedule because Yates is currently busy directing "Tarzan" for the studio through November.
J.K. Rowling, author of the book series, is making her screenwriting debut in "Fantastic Beast". Film will focus on a fictional book writer Newt Scamander who is tasked to write a Hogwarts textbook about the magical creatures. It is set in New York seven decades before Harry Potter's adventure starts.
"Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world," Rowling said previously.
"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" is scheduled to hit theaters November 18, 2016. No actor has been cast in the movie yet.
More Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them News
- Bella Thorne Rises to Stardom in Trailer for 'Famous in Love' From 'Pretty Little Liars' Creator
- Justin Bieber Accidentally Reactivates Instagram Account
- Madonna, Usher and More Stars Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: More Fights and Departures
- Britney and Beyonce Under Fire for Their VMAs Performances. Plus Get Details on Their Backstage Feud
- Taylor Swift Dismissed From Jury Duty due to Her Ongoing Sexual Abuse Case
- Production on 'The Maze Runner: The Death Cure' to Resume in February 2017
- Blake Lively Hosts Private Baby Shower With Taylor Swift