Lauren Bacall Remembered by Family and Close Friends at an Intimate Funeral
Lauren Bacall was remembered by her family and close friends at a small funeral on Tuesday night, August 19 in Manhattan, Page Six reports. Only 50 people, including Bacall's close friends Anjelica Huston and Michael Douglas, reportedly attended the closed-casket event which took place at the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Home.
Following the event, larger number of friends gathered at her apartment. The mourners "spent time looking at Bacall's hundreds of old photos, including many glamorous ones of herself, and posters from her movie career around her magnificent apartment."
Bacall, who previously was married to Humphrey Bogart, passed away from a stroke on August 12. She was 89.
A week after her passing, Douglas' father Kirk Douglas who went to the American Academy of Dramatic Arts with the actress penned a tribute to the "How to Marry a Millionaire" actress. In the piece, published on The Hollywood Reporter, the 97-year-old Douglas remembered Bacall's kindness when they first met.
In the heartfelt tribute, Douglas also recalled that he landed a role as Barbara Stanwyck's husband in "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" after Bacall suggested producer Hal Wallis watch his performance in a play called "The Wind Is Ninety". He went on saying that their friendship continued throughout the years until her passing.
"It's hard to lose a friend, especially one with whom you have shared your dreams and your journey. In the case of Betty Bacall, I also lost my lucky charm - the girl who believed in me enough to talk Hal Wallis into giving me a Hollywood career. That was my first lesson in helping others without looking for thanks. I will continue to think about her whenever I put it into practice," he concluded.
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed
- Artist of the Week: Bruno Mars
- 'The Walking Dead' Star on Daryl's Part in the Latest Death: 'It Weighs Heavily on Him'
- 'Han Solo' Movie May Reveal How the Iconic Smuggler Won the Millenium Falcon
- Taylor Swift Details Alleged Groping in Deposition: I Felt 'Distressed' and 'Violated'
- Bow Wow Announces Joint Album With Soulja Boy 'Ignorant S**t' Ahead of Retirement
- 'Westworld' Star Responds to the Man in Black Theories