Beyonce and Jay-Z's Cuba Trip Last Year Deemed Legal
Beyonce Knowles and Jay-Z have been cleared of allegation that they violated U.S. sanctions to Cuba by visiting the country during their fifth wedding anniversary last year. Shortly after photos from their trip hit the web, the pair were criticized for doing tourist activities which are deemed illegal because of the embargo.
On Wednesday, August 20, the Treasury Department's Office of Inspector General issued a report addressing the issue. "Based on our review of available documentation and applicable regulations and guidance, we found no indication that U.S. sanctions were violated, and we concluded that the Office of Foreign Assets Control's decision not to pursue a formal investigation was reasonable," it reads.
Because of the embargo to Cuba, the U.S. has prohibited its citizens to go to Cuba for tourism purpose. Beyonce and her husband went to the country with a license for "people-to-people" educational exchange program last year.
Back then, reports suggested that Beyonce and Jay-Z had a welcome dinner, watched students' theater performances and artwork, and had an architectural tour around the Old City of Havana. "All of these activities serve the U.S. foreign policy goal of heeling the Cuban people by facilitating exchanges with them and supporting the development of independent activity and civil society," the report continues.
More Beyonce Knowles News
- Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk Are Reportedly Dating
- Jenna Dewan Reportedly Joins Channing Tatum at 'Magic Mike Live' Premiere Due to Trust Issues
- Watch Preview of Ty Dolla $ign and Lil Yachty's Collaboration for 'Beach House 3'
- George and Amal Clooney Reportedly to Spend Over $1 M on a Royal-Like Delivery Experience
- 'Delusional' Drake Is Still Not Over Rihanna, but She Won't Give Him Another Chance
- Perrie Edwards Celebrates Footballer Beau Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's Win With a Dance
- Kris Jenner Reportedly Planning New Reality Show Featuring Her Grandkids
- Sara Sampaio Exposes Nipples in See-Through Bustier