Billy Crystal to Lead Robin Williams Tribute at the Emmys
More details are unveiled regarding Robin Williams' tribute at the upcoming Primetime Emmy Awards. The late actor's pal Billy Crystal is chosen to present him with the special honor during the Monday, August 25 ceremony.
"We felt we needed to do something powerful and memorable. Billy seemed like the perfect choice," L.A. Emmys producer Don Mischer said on Tuesday, August 19 morning. Crystal and Williams had starred opposite each other in 1997's comedy "Father's Day" and spearheaded the "Comic Relief" specials together to raise money for the homeless.
Last week, Mischer confirmed that Williams would indeed get a special segment at the Emmys. "Plans for the In Memoriam segment are in discussion," Mischer said at that time. "While we are all still coming to terms with this week's tragic news, we are working to give Robin Williams the proper and meaningful remembrance he so well deserves."
The 63-year-old actor, who died on August 11 in his home in California, will be honored in the "In Memoriam" segment. Sara Bareilles will do a performance during the tribute to fallen actors/crew. She recently dedicated one of her tracks called "Hercules" to him and his family when performing at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, but it is yet clear what song she will sing at the Emmys.
Williams himself honored his mentor Jonathan Winters during the same segment at last year's Emmys.
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Finale Title Revealed - Here's How It May Hint at the Plot
- 'Justice League 2' Pushed Back to Make Room for Ben Affleck's 'Batman'
- Alexa PenaVega Gives Birth to First Child With Husband Carlos
- Roger Ailes - Megyn Kelly Harassment Movie Is in the Works
- Surprise Baby Bump! Lake Bell Is Expecting Her Second Child
- T.J. Miller Arrested for Hitting Uber Driver
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- 'Fast and Furious 8' Reveals Explosive Teaser Trailer and Official Title