Cindy Crawford Pulls Her Children Out Off High School Due to High Levels of PCBs
Cindy Crawford decided to pull her children, Presley and Kaia, out of their high school in Malibu, California. Cindy took the decision after knowing high levels of toxic chemicals called PCBs or polychlorinated biphenyls were detected at the school building.
In an interview with special correspondent of "Today", Maria Shriver, Cindy said, "I don't feel 100 percent safe. I think that air testing and wipe testings are a great piece of the puzzle. Unless they're testing every day, how do I know that every day it's safe for my kid?"
PCBs were banned by Congress in 1976 after it was found that the chemical could cause cancer and damage the immune and reproductive systems. Public health expert at New York University's School of Medicine, Dr. Leonard Trasande, claimed, "PCBs disrupt the function of hormones in our bodies, especially thyroid hormone. They can contribute to worse brain development in children, and inability of children to perform well in school."
PCBs were allegedly detected at two Malibu schools, including one that was attended by Cindy's children. Four of ten random classrooms in each school were found with levels above the federal PCB limits.
Cindy told Maria, "I look 10 years down the line. What if my kid, God forbid, had a problem? How could I live with myself, if I knew that it was a possibility, and I still sent them to school there?"
Although she has pulled her children out of the school, Cindy wanted to continue spearheading the fight in favor of PCB testing. She said, "This is not a Malibu issue. This is really an issue in a lot of older schools, and I just think the laws need to be changed."
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri
- 'Shameless' Season 8 Renewal Is Put on Hold as Emmy Rossum Asks for Pay Parity