Charli XCX Premieres New Single 'Break the Rules', Announces Second LP 'Sucker'
Charli XCX has previewed her upcoming sophomore album with a new track titled "Break the Rules". Premiering on Monday, August 18 on Buzzfeed, the punk-flavored jam finds the British beauty showing off her rebel side.
"I don't wanna go to school/ I just want to break the rules," the 22-year-old star sings the chorus. "Boys and girls across the world/ Putting on our dancing shoes/ Going to the discotheque / Getting high and getting wrecked."
"The song is inspired by a lot of the things I was listening to whilst in Sweden at the end of last year," she told Buzzfeed of the track. "I spent about a month making a punk record and covering songs by Swedish punk bands like Snuffed By The Yakuza and stuff. This song was written when I came out of the other side of that punk phase and translated it into something more pop. Obviously, it's about not giving a f**k."
"Break the Rules" comes as the latest single off Charli's newly-announced album, "Sucker". The follow-up to her 2013 debut set "True Romance" is due out on October 21 via Neon Gold/Atlantic Records.
2014 is a big year for Charli. The singer, who was featured in Icona Pop's breakthrough single "I Love It", recently topped Billboard Hot 100 with her monster collaboration with Iggy Azalea, "Fancy". Her "Boom Clap" from the soundtrack of "The Fault in Our Stars" also entered the chart's top 10 earlier this month.
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation
- Britney Spears Mispronounces Tinashe's Name During Onstage Performance
- Tegan and Sara Release 'Miami Vice'-Inspired 'Dying to Know' Video
- Seth Meyers Will End 2016 With Jennifer Lawrence, Arnold Schwarzenegger and More
- Liam Payne Blasts Louis Walsh for Dissing His Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl
- Demi Moore Annoys Mila Kunis for 'Butting in' After Birth of Her Son With Ashton Kutcher
- Get Sneak Peeks of Daredevil and Jessica Jones' Encounter in New 'Defenders' Set Photos
- Find Out Liam Payne's Big Plan to Propose to Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl