Charli XCX Premieres New Single 'Break the Rules', Announces Second LP 'Sucker'
Charli XCX has previewed her upcoming sophomore album with a new track titled "Break the Rules". Premiering on Monday, August 18 on Buzzfeed, the punk-flavored jam finds the British beauty showing off her rebel side.
"I don't wanna go to school/ I just want to break the rules," the 22-year-old star sings the chorus. "Boys and girls across the world/ Putting on our dancing shoes/ Going to the discotheque / Getting high and getting wrecked."
"The song is inspired by a lot of the things I was listening to whilst in Sweden at the end of last year," she told Buzzfeed of the track. "I spent about a month making a punk record and covering songs by Swedish punk bands like Snuffed By The Yakuza and stuff. This song was written when I came out of the other side of that punk phase and translated it into something more pop. Obviously, it's about not giving a f**k."
"Break the Rules" comes as the latest single off Charli's newly-announced album, "Sucker". The follow-up to her 2013 debut set "True Romance" is due out on October 21 via Neon Gold/Atlantic Records.
2014 is a big year for Charli. The singer, who was featured in Icona Pop's breakthrough single "I Love It", recently topped Billboard Hot 100 with her monster collaboration with Iggy Azalea, "Fancy". Her "Boom Clap" from the soundtrack of "The Fault in Our Stars" also entered the chart's top 10 earlier this month.
- Kris Jenner Is Banning Pepsi From Her House
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales' May Be Johnny Depp's Last Disney Film
- Meghan Markle Involved in Nazi and Satanism Scandal
- Caitlyn Jenner Is Saving Her Vagina for Mr. Right
- PARTYNEXTDOOR Unfollows Zayn Malik, Deletes All Trace of Their Collab on Social Media
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern
- Phoebe Tonkin and Paul Wesley Enjoy Intimate Dinner - Back On?