Charli XCX Premieres New Single 'Break the Rules', Announces Second LP 'Sucker'
Charli XCX has previewed her upcoming sophomore album with a new track titled "Break the Rules". Premiering on Monday, August 18 on Buzzfeed, the punk-flavored jam finds the British beauty showing off her rebel side.
"I don't wanna go to school/ I just want to break the rules," the 22-year-old star sings the chorus. "Boys and girls across the world/ Putting on our dancing shoes/ Going to the discotheque / Getting high and getting wrecked."
"The song is inspired by a lot of the things I was listening to whilst in Sweden at the end of last year," she told Buzzfeed of the track. "I spent about a month making a punk record and covering songs by Swedish punk bands like Snuffed By The Yakuza and stuff. This song was written when I came out of the other side of that punk phase and translated it into something more pop. Obviously, it's about not giving a f**k."
"Break the Rules" comes as the latest single off Charli's newly-announced album, "Sucker". The follow-up to her 2013 debut set "True Romance" is due out on October 21 via Neon Gold/Atlantic Records.
2014 is a big year for Charli. The singer, who was featured in Icona Pop's breakthrough single "I Love It", recently topped Billboard Hot 100 with her monster collaboration with Iggy Azalea, "Fancy". Her "Boom Clap" from the soundtrack of "The Fault in Our Stars" also entered the chart's top 10 earlier this month.
More Charli XCX News
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby